Forty-Nine (49) - Vulnerable

{Long Chapter Ahead - 6,800 words}

(Orvud District)

"I don't know..."

"Yeah."

Eren, Armin and Jean stared at Historia who's chasing two hildren who're playing and running away from an angry mother-like Historia.

"She's not the queen I expected her to be. She's been wearing thr crown for two months now...but she seems more at home running an orphanage than ruling." Jean said. His face became unamused after seeing that Historia grabbed the two children by the back of their shirts and scolded them.

"It's the military that's really ruling the walls...so there's no way of hiding the fact that the monarchy is just for show." Armin said. "But do you know what they call Historia on the street?"

Eren, Armin and Jean kept their stare at Historia. "The "Cattle-farming goddess." They mean it lovingly, of course." The young blond-boy said.

"Naturally. The hero wyo vanquished an attacking titan turns out to be this modest and admirable I guess she really is a goddess now..." Jean said.

The young man side-eyed Eren and made a funny annoying face for his mortal enemy. "At this rate, no one's even going to remember who plugged the hole in Trost district. Eh?"

Eren just ignored Jean's attempt to annoy him. "One of the reasons Historia made the decision to become queen...was to do this." Eren spoke.

The two looked at him.

"This?" Armin said.

"She looked everywhere, from the underground to every corner of the walls...she gathered the orphans and the people in need she found there, brought them to this farm and started taking care of them. She's using the royal family's budget and the assets seized from politicians to run this place and help the poor. Even the captain's backing her up."

"Well...captain Levi was from the underground, after all. They were concerned about a backlash from the aristocracy at first, but all their resistance did was further strengthen her support among the people. I don't think she'd thought it out quite this far...but she said she was going to find people in trouble no matter where they whete, and go save them. This is what Historia wanted to do."

Jean and Armin nod at what Eren said, mow understanding what Historia's real motives are when she accepted the role of being the queen.

"Hey, you're slaciing again!"

The three boys were interrupted when Historia shouted at them.

"Ack."

"She found us."

Jean, Eren and Armin started to pick up the boxes they have to bring in.

"Can't we take a break...?" Jean asked.

Historia picked up one box. "After we carry all of this. The sun's about to set!" Historia said like she's a mother.

Jean and Armin frowned, they walked out, carrying boxes. "She's starting to remind me of my mom..." Jean said.

"A goddess, huh?" Armin said.

Historia and Eren walked beside each other, carrying things on their own.

"So I hear the hardening experiments are going well?" Historia asked.

Eren nod his head. "Yeah. I'm able to block a cave now...but we're not ready for the mission yet. If we don't hurry... they'll come again." Eren kept his vision at nowhere, looking serious.