Chapter 3 - The Interview

Note: Before this chapter begins, I feel it is important for me to say I know how this chapter is written is NOT how the foster system works in the US, or most countries around the world. To actually become a foster parent you need months of training/getting approved via interviews/home visits. It's not a quick process like this chapter makes it out to be. I have only written it as such for the sake of the story. This is a work of fiction after all.

*********************

It is now 3 days since Kara agreed to foster Lori, and over that time a lot of different things have happened. Firstly, from what Lena has told her, and what Kara has been able to see with her x-ray vision as she flies by, the blonde's apartment is undergoing some serious works to expand it by the end of the week, and make it liveable, with at least 2 bedrooms. To do this Lena actually bought the entire building that Kara lives in, and then paid for the couple who live next door to Kara to quickly move out to a different apartment. Needless to say, it was just one of those moments where Lena used her incredible wealth to get what she wants. Usually, Kara would feel a bit weird about Lena doing all this, and spending so much money on her, because Kara has never wanted to take advantage of Lena's wealth as part of their friendship, even a little bit. However, Kara ultimately knows that Lena is mostly doing this for Lori, so it makes the burden of Lena spending this much money be less of an issue.

Also, over the last few days, Kara has had to go to multiple training courses, in the evening, that foster parents are required to attend before they can foster a child. The courses themselves were all pretty basic, being about how to take care of a child, what some issues may be with them, first aid skills, spotting issues, and various other stuff. Ultimately, the courses ended up all being stuff that Kara mostly already knows, and is confident in.

Today, however, is a much different day for Kara, and one that she is very very nervous about, as today is the day she goes for her interview that will either approve her as a foster parent, or not. Of course, Kara is incredibly nervous about it because she doesn't want to fail the interview and let down both Lori and Lena. Kara doesn't even know what she will do if that happens. So far Kara is aware that Lena's money and influence have allowed her to very much speed up the foster process, but she knows that nothing Lena can do will change things if she fails the interview. Frankly, Kara is more tense about this upcoming interview than she was all those years ago when she first interviewed to be Cat Grant's assistant.

"You're going to do fine, Kara." Lena says, as the two friends are both driven in Lena's driver's car.

Lena, being the amazing friend she is, and obviously having an invested interest in Kara actually successfully becoming a foster parent, had offered to have Kara driven to the foster agency where she would be interviewed, with her coming along too, to support her friend. Kara agreed, knowing that she would need someone there with her to encourage her, and stop her feeling anxious, and who better than Lena?

"Yeah..... I'm just worried.... If I screw up.... and say something I shouldn't.... or do something I shouldn't.... I.... don't know what I'd do..... I don't want to let Lori down." Kara replies.

"You won't, Kara." Lena says, placing a loving hand on her best friend's arm, "I believe in you."

Kara looks at Lena, and gives her a small smile. Kara knows that Lena always has a special way to make her feel so much better about herself. That's just one of the reasons Kara loves her.

"Thank you, Lee." Kara replies, her heart starting to beat faste, as she thinks about how she is so in love with her best friend, and so badly wants to tell her that.

The car comes to a stop, just outside the foster agency office.

"We're here, Miss Luthor." The driver says.