Chapter 44 - Lawyer Meeting

It is now a few hours later, and Kara is honestly mentally drained after having gone several rounds with these lawyers, even though they are on her side. The problem is, Kara has had to start off this meeting by going through anything that the opposing lawyers could use against her, all the way back to her childhood. So, this means that Kara has had to basically go through a detailed account of her life, explaining how her parents are dead, and then also talking about how her grades in school, in subjects like history, were not that good. Of course, through all this, the thing that gave Kara even more of a headache is the fact that she couldn't just come out and tell her lawyers she is Supergirl, and from Krypton, as while she suspects all the lawyers are under extreme NDAs from Lena, and can't share her secrets anyway due to client confidentiality, Kara doesn't like just giving her secret out there for anyone, especially now that she has Lori. So, because of that, Kara has basically had to carefully navigate through everything, lying at times, making her story and history make sense, while also having to keep all the lies in her mind, so that if they ask her about them later, she will know what they are talking about. Therefore, this process has just been very stressful and mentally taxing on Kara. This was made even worse when they moved onto discussing Lori in depth, and coming up for reasons, on the Lori side of things, as to why Kara is not the appropriate parent for her. For Kara, this all very much felt like she was getting punched in the stomach over and over again, over a several hour period.

Right now though, the meeting with the lawyers is just about to come to an end, which Kara is very happy about, as she doesn't think she could stand it much longer. However, before the meeting ends, there is one final thing that Mark brings up to Kara. Something that Kara has been dreading discussing in a sense of how they will go about it during this trial.

"Kara, I know that this meeting today has been taxing on you, so we will just cover one final thing before we finish for the day." Mark says.

"Alright." Kara nods, just wanting to get out of here now, and get on with the rest of her day, and then this evening cuddle up with Lori and Lena.

"So, there's really no delicate way to put this. But one of the things that the opposing lawyers might bring up in your trial, is your relationship with Miss Luthor." Mark says, "Obviously, the opposing lawyers might not know you are dating Miss Luthor, but they are likely aware that you at least have a close friendship. This therefore could be used against you. Stephen Andrews' lawyers might try and suggest that due to your relationship with Lena Luthor, you do not choose the right friends or something, and therefore that means you should not be Lori's parent. Then, at the same time, the opposing lawyers might even try and suggest that Lena is a danger to Lori's health or something. These are just things that we are going to have to be prepared for."

After Mark finishes speaking, Kara takes a few moments just to compose herself, and gather her thoughts, as she has been aware that this is a topic that she will have to discuss in the trial, and there is no way to avoid it. Kara knows that any half-decent lawyer will somehow try and bring up her relationship with Lena.

"Okay." Kara says, "I know about all that. And while I am not sure how I'm going to navigate my relationship with Lena and everything, and try and defend that, and deny the accusations that Lena is dangerous or something. What I am not going to do, and I'm serious about this. What I'm not going to do, is pretend that I'm not in a relationship with Lena. Of course, I'm not going to shout it out from the rooftops. Not because I'm ashamed, but because Lena and I each deserve our privacy. But if Stephen Andrews' lawyers bring it up, I'm not going to hide it. And hopefully by then, I will have thought of something to say, to convince the judge that me being associated with Lena, and in a relationship with her, is not a negative for why I should be allowed to adopt Lori."