Chapter 47 - Trial Begins

Kara, Lena, Alex and Eliza all head into the court room, along with Mark and his lawyers, walking behind Stephen Andrews and his team. As they do, they all very much still have confused looks on their faces as to what exactly the assistant DA of New York is doing here. However, as they all take their seats, with Lena, Alex and Eliza sitting on one side of the court, in the audience, a few rows back, and Kara takes her seat next to Mark, and another lawyer, at the front, they see that the New York assistant district attorney takes a seat next to Stephen Andrews and his lawyer team.

"He's working as part of Stephen Andrews team?" Kara asks Mark, who is still looking over at the assistant DA.

"It looks like it." Mark replies, in a confused voice, "Don't worry. I'll get an explanation of this before the trial begins."

Kara then opens her mouth to say something else, however, before she can speak, a member of the court staff speaks up.

"All rise for the honourable Judge Burgess!" The Court staff member says.

Everyone in the court room then stands, and watches as judge Burgess makes her way into her seat at the front of the courtroom.

"Be seated." Judge Burgess soon says, which everyone does. "Okay. So, this is the case of Danvers vs Andrews, for custody of a minor, Lori Smith."

"Your honour, may I speak about a matter before we start?" Mark says, standing up.

"We haven't even begun the trial yet. I don't really see what you need to speak to me about. Unless you are presenting some sort of agreement?" Judge Burgess says.

"No. Your honour." Mark replies, "It is about the opposing council. I see that as part of Dr Andrews legal team, he has Mr Cameron Dennis, the current assistant district attorney for the state of New York. I believe it would be highly inappropriate for an acting government official to act as a lawyer in a civil case. Then, my knowledge of New York state law is not up to scratch on the specifics, but I actually believe Mr Dennis is not allowed to work any civil cases while serving as assistant DA."

Once Mark finishes speaking, the judge turns to look at Stephen Andrews, and his team of lawyers.

"Would council care to clarify this? Or am I going to have a headache before this trial even begins?" Judge Burgess asks.

"No, your honour." Cameron Dennis says, standing up, "I have taken a temporary leave of absence from my role as assistant district attorney for New York to come here today."

"I presume all the correct filing is in place?" Judge Burgess asks, "I don't want to have to find out that there has been an error, and you shouldn't be working a civil case. As then you would throw this whole trial into jeopardy."

"I can assure you, your honour, I have everything in order." Cameron Dennis says, "In fact, I have a signed note here, from New York district attorney, Harvey Specter, confirming that I have taken a temporary leave of absence from the New York DA's office."

"Approach the bench." Judge Burgess says.

Cameron Dennis then walks over to the judge, and hands her the note, before making his way back next to Stephen Andrews. Judge Burgess proceeds to read the note.

"Very well. It looks that everything is in order then." Judge Burgess says, "I believe we can proceed."

"Your honour, I must object to this." Mark says, "A temporary leave of absence clearly is not what the rules intended, as that would mean anyone working in the New York's DA's office could take brief absences to work civil cases."

"I understand the point you are trying to make. However, as long as all the rules have been followed, I cannot make any rulings in regards to New York law." Judge Burgess says, "Plus, I doubt that this case will bring up any conflicts of interests. But if it does, we can reassess then."