Chapter 54 - A Girl Called Lori

It is now about 10 minutes after the decision was put forward, that Kara gets to keep custody of her daughter, and actually won the court battle against Stephen Andrews. Over those 10 minutes, Kara spent about 5 of them not really knowing where she was, or what was going on, as it was just so surreal. Even though Kara didn't want to admit it out loud, internally she was preparing for the news that the judge would rule against her, and emotionally preparing herself to hear that horrible news. Kara never even thought to prepare herself emotionally for, the news that she would win. Of course, Kara was hopeful she'd win the court battle, she just didn't think about the emotional weight that hearing she has won would do to her. So, over these first five minutes, Kara really just felt she was talked at, with Lena hugging her, and giving her kisses on the cheeks, Mark saying something to her, then Alex, Eliza, Kelly and even Cat giving her hugs, as they all made their way out of the court room. It was all just a blur for Kara.

The second 5 minutes though, Kara did finally come back into focus of everything, as it had all finally just settled in Kara's mind that she actually won. But once this happened, she was approached by Stephen Andrews, and Cameron Dennis, who promised her that this isn't over, and that an appeal would be filed, with them basically threatening to drag this all out for years to come. But upon hearing that, Kara didn't really care, she knew they were only threatening her out of fear. She'd won, and that is all that mattered, Cameron Dennis and Stephen Andrews' threats are just hollow, and Kara is sure that with more time now, her friends, and other law enforcement agencies, would be able to dig something conclusive up on their involvement in Lori's father's death.

"Now Kara, I fully expect you to stick to our agreement." Cat says, with a smile, as they walk out of the court house, into the fresh air, with the sun shining, a perfect day really, "I'm going to be in town for a few more days. So, I would very much like to meet your daughter."

Cat saying those two words 'your daughter', really just makes this moment seem even more amazing, as of course, people have referred to Lori as her daughter before now. However, in this moment, it is actually the truth. Kara is going to get to adopt Lori.

"We'll arrange something, sometime, Cat." Lena says, speaking up for Kara, with the CEO holding one of her arms.

"Okay. I will look forward to it." Cat smiles, "But, I'm going to be off now. Congratulations again, Kara. I didn't doubt you for a second. Supergirl always seems to find a way to win."

Lena chuckles lightly at Cat saying that.

"I think it was Kara Danvers that won this, this time." Lena comments.

"Hmmm. Yes." Cat nods, "It seems that Kara Danvers always finds a way to win too."

After Cat says this, a car literally pulls up in front of Cat, and she gets inside, almost as if the former CatCo owner had arranged for that to happen, which is a potential possibility.

"She really is something, isn't she?" Alex comments, with a smile, as Cat Grant's car drives away.

"Yeah." Kara nods.

Kara knows that she owes Cat so much, not only for actually hiring her as her assistant in the first place, which Cat took a bit of a leap of faith doing, as she had never been anyone's assistant before. But Kara also knows she owes Cat for helping her to become a reporter, framing her to the world as Supergirl, and all her support over the years, both as Kara, and as Supergirl. But what Cat did yesterday, testifying on Kara's behalf, tops all of that. Kara knows she will never be able to repay Cat for doing that.

"Quite a character indeed." Eliza says.

Eliza, for her part, can see that Kara is still in a bit of a daze from everything that has happened over these last few minutes. So, she knows that her daughter probably needs a little time alone, or, time just with her and Lena.