Chapter 49 - Kara on the Stand

The group have all now worked their way back into the court room, with the judge entering, and them all standing and everything until she lets them know to take their seats again. Right now, Kara is really really nervous, because she is well aware that she is now mere moments from having to sit in front of the court, next to the judge, and testify on her own behalf that she should get to keep her daughter, and that Lori is better off with her. Kara may be Supergirl, and has faced many terrifying things, including literal Nazis, but doing this right now, sitting at the front of a court and testifying, is easily the most terrifying of it all.

"Okay." Judge Burgess says, "Kara Danvers, I believe it's now you and your councils turn to make a case."

Mark then opens his mouth to speak, but before he can, Stephen Andrews' main lawyer stands up.

"Your honour, before that, over lunch Dr Andrews has discussed things with us, his council, and we wish to present the opposing council with an offer." Stephen Andrews' main lawyer says.

"This is rather unusual." Judge Burgess says, with a bit of a frown, "But proceed."

Kara now is very nervous, as she knows that whatever offer they are about to present she is not going to like.

Stephen Andrews' main lawyer than walks over to Kara, and her lawyers, and hands them a piece of paper. All the while, Stephen Andrews doesn't even look in Kara's direction, which infuriates Lena sitting a few rows behind her girlfriend. Lena literally wants to ring this bastard's neck.

"We believe that with the strong case we have already presented, this is a fair agreement." Stephen Andrews says.

Mark then looks down at the piece of paper, which has the offer on it.

"Give us a moment to discuss please." Mark says.

"Very well." Stephen Andrews' main lawyer says, and walks back to his side of the court.

Mark then slides the piece of paper to Kara, after having read it himself, and that is when Kara reads it. Kara reads that they are basically offering that Stephen Andrews will move to National City, and Lori will get to live with him during the weeks, but on weekends she can stay with Kara. A part of Kara does want to take this offer, because she knows this will at least assure that she doesn't lose Lori completely, and still gets to see her on a regular basis. However, the other part of Kara knows that for Lori's sake, this would not be right. The best thing for Lori is for her to stay with her, full time, as she is her mommy.

"What do you...." Mark begins.

"No." Kara says, with an annoyed looked on her face, and screws up the piece of paper, for all the court to see.

"Are you sure?" Mark asks, in a whisper.

"Yes. I'm not stopping at anything other than Lori being in my full custody, with me adopting her as my daughter." Kara says.

"Okay." Mark says, with a nod of his head, before then standing up and turning to Stephen Andrews' lawyers, "We are going to be declining your offer."

Everyone in the court room clearly saw Kara screw up the piece of paper, as a sign of what she thought of the offer, but Mark makes sure to still say this, just so everything is clear.

"Are you sure?" Stephen Andrews says, now standing up himself, and looking at Kara, "I believe that was a very fair offer, and one that you should seriously consider, Miss Danvers."

After Stephen Andrews' says this, Eliza, Lena and Alex all worry about what Kara might do or say next, because Stephen Andrews just said that in such a cocky and condescending tone, it makes the three of them want to punch this guy in the face, so they can only imagine what Kara might do. But they do really hope that Kara does not react, as they know that if she does, that will be exactly what Stephen Andrews' and his team would be hoping for. Giving the judge first hand evidence of Kara losing her cool or something.