Chapter 5 - Lori's New Home

It is now the following day, Sunday, and Kara has currently borrowed Alex's DEO issued car to come pick Lori up from her former foster family, to take her to her new home, with her. This has come about because Helen, the social worker, was able to come to the agreement with Lori's current foster family that Kara could come pick Lori up, and all of her stuff, today.

"Kara!!!!!!!!!!" Lori says, excitedly, running from the front door to meet her new foster mom, as she walks up the driveway.

"Hi, Lori." Kara smiles, happily, taking her very soon to be foster daughter in for a tight hug. "Are you all ready to go?"

"Yes." Lori nods, "Julie helped me pack all my things into bags."

Kara looks up at the front door, and she sees Julie and Clive standing there, Lori's current foster parents, with sad looks on their faces.

"Okay." Kara nods.

Kara then ends her hug with Lori, and walks to the front door with the 7-year-old.

"Hello, Kara." Julie says, with a strained smile.

Kara can clearly see that both Julie and Clive are emotional about letting Lori go, but she also knows that they know it is for the best.

"Hi." Kara smiles back.

"I uhmmm.... Have all of Lori's stuff in these bags...." Clive says, holding up two large suitcases.

"Oh..... I can put them in my car." Kara says, and then goes to grab one.

"No. Let me." Clive insists.

"Alright." Kara nods, and then lets Clive walks over to her car with the bags.

Julie now turns to Lori, crouching down to the young girl's height.

"You have got everything? You haven't left other things elsewhere?" Julie asks Lori.

"No, Julie." Lori says, sweetly.

"Okay." Julie nods, and then takes Lori in for another hug.

A few moments later, Clive re-joins the group, having put the bags into the back of Kara's car.

"Can we go now, Kara?" Lori asks.

Kara looks at Lori and crouches down.

"Why don't you say goodbye to Julie and Clive? They have taken good care of you for these last few years. Say thank you for it." Kara says, in a quiet voice, so only Lori can hear.

Lori nods her head, before then turning to look at her now former foster parents.

"Thank you for taking care of me, and not making me stay in a big home with a bunch of other kids." Lori says, sweetly.

Julie now begins to tear up.

"You're very welcome, Lori." Julie says, "You have been an absolute pleasure to have, and I just know you are going to a very good home, filled with a lot of love."

Julie crouches down again, takes Lori in for another hug, and places a kiss on one of her cheeks. After the two part, Clive crouches down and hugs Lori also.

"You take good care of yourself, okay?" Clive says, "You have been such a good girl. I'm just sorry you can't stay with us. But I know you are going to do just great with Kara."

A few moments later, Lori parts from her hug with Clive, and then proceeds to look up at her former foster parents for a few moments.

"Bye." Lori says, with a small smile, and a little wave, before then turning to look at Kara.