Chapter 10 - Lori Meets Nia

"Lori, baby, it's time to wake up." Kara says, as she sits on the side of Lori's bed, and places a kiss on one of her cheeks.

Lori doesn't reply.

"Lori, time to wake up." Kara says, and places another kiss on Lori's cheek.

This time, once Kara finishes kissing Lori, she notices the 7-year-old break out into a wide smile, even though she is keeping her eyes closed, signalling to Kara that she is awake, and just pretending to sleep.

Kara chuckles.

"I see that little smile." Kara says, happily, "I know you're awake."

"No. I'm asleep." Lori replies, still keeping her eyes closed, and keeping her smile on her face.

Kara chuckles again.

"Well, then, I guess I better find a way to wake you up." Kara says, and then begins to tickle Lori.

Lori soon breaks out into giggles, opening her eyes.

"Stop... Stop..." Lori says, now laughing.

"Hmm.... I don't know..." Kara says, as she continues to tickle Lori, "I have got to me sure you are really awake."

Lori continues to laugh as Kara tickles her for the next few moments, all while she rolls on the bed to try and get away from Kara's fingers. Eventually, Kara stops tickling Lori, and allows the 7-year-old to breathe.

"There. Now I am sure you are awake." Kara says, with a smile on her face.

Lori looks back at Kara, and smiles too.

"I am. I just pretended to be sleeping because I liked your kisses." Lori says.

As soon as Kara hears Lori say that, she feels an incredible ache in her heart, and a part of her really wants to cry.

"Oh Lori." Kara says, now growing a loving and sympathetic look on her face.

Every day that Kara now spends with Lori, she comes more and more to realise just how many things Lori has missed out on from being a foster kid. This is from some pretty basic things like not having Indian food for dinner, or seeing certain Disney movies, to more extreme things, like not receiving kisses from her foster parents. Kara does know that the latter is mostly because foster parents are warned not to get too attached, or allow the child to get too attached to them, in case things don't work out, or someone comes along and adopts the child. But Kara also knows that she is going to be nothing like that. Lori already has a massive hold on Kara's heart, and she is never going to let her go. Kara knows that soon she will file to adopt Lori herself, and a part of her thinks that has always been inevitable. Until then, Kara has to just make sure that Lori is happy with her, as she doesn't want to adopt Lori if the young girl doesn't want to be adopted by her.

Kara leans down again, and places another kiss on Lori's cheek, and decides that from now on, until the little girl tells her otherwise, she is going to wake her up with kisses every day. In response, Lori just smiles happily at Kara kissing her.

"Come on, little one." Kara says, feeling so happy right now, "We have got to get some breakfast in you, as we have a big day planned."

"Okay." Lori smiles, "Can you carry me?"

Kara chuckles.

"Of course I can." Kara smiles, happily.

Lori smiles back up at Kara, and then the blonde picks Lori up into her arms, and begins to carry her out of the bedroom. Lori simply allows Kara to carry her, and rests her head on one of Kara's shoulders.