Chapter 36 - A New Year

Once Kara heads back inside Lena's penthouse, she walks into Lena's living room, and she looks around and sees all her friends and family. Although admittedly, Alex and Kelly are nowhere to be seen right now. Kara thinks that they are probably off somewhere making out or something. But as Kara looks around the room, she sees Lena, Lori, Esme and Eliza all sitting together on one of Lena's couches. Lori and Esme are happily talking with each other, and giggling happily. Lori is slightly tucked into Lena's side, while Esme is slightly tucked into Eliza's. It's not a big thing or anything, like they are cuddling into the adults. They are just resting some of their body weight on Eliza and Lena, showing how comfortable they are with them, which makes Kara so happy.

Looking further around the room, Kara sees J'onn, Nia and Brainy all talking with each other. Nia and Brainy, particularly, are pressed pretty close to one another. Kara hasn't had a chance to discuss the topic with Nia yet, but she is pretty sure the young reporter is giving Brainy another chance, after he betrayed all of them, and lied to them, while working with Lex to defeat Leviathan. Right now, it just looks like Nia and Brainy are happily chatting with each other, while J'onn is joining in the conversation too.

"Mommy!" Lori soon calls out.

Kara turns and looks over at Lori, her daughter, and sees that she is reaching out her arms, and making a grabbing motion. Kara knows this means Lori wants her to pick her up.

Kara walks over to the 7-year-old, and takes the young girl into her arms, giving her a kiss on the top of her head, before sitting down between Lena and Esme, with Lori now comfortably resting in her lap.

"Where were you mommy?" Lori asks, once they are all seated.

"I was just out on Lena's balcony, looking at the stars, and having a moment to myself." Kara explains.

"Is everything okay, mommy?" Lori asks, with a concerned look on her face, as she tilts her head back to look Kara in the eyes.

"Everything is fine, baby." Kara lies, and then leans down to kiss one of Lori's cheeks.

Lori simply giggles happily at Kara giving her this kiss, before relaxing further into Kara's lap, resting her back on Kara's front.

"You okay?" Lena whispers, while giving one of Kara's arms a reassuring squeeze.

"Yeah." Kara replies, as she turns to look at Lena with a smile on her face, "Everything is fine."

"Good." Lena smiles back.

The group all then settle in for some nice conversation with each other, while eating some more snacks which Lena has laid out, and drinking more alcohol, for the adults of course. Lena has made sure that Lori and Esme have some blackcurrant juice, which looks like wine.

Eventually, about 10 minutes later, the group are all interrupted by Kelly and Alex walking back into the living room, both with big smiles on their faces. In fact, the group can also see that the couple have been crying, and Kelly now has a ring on her left hand.

"Oh Rao!" Kara exclaims, the first one to realise. "Did you?"

"Yeah." Alex nods, with a big smile on her face, as she glances at Kelly.

"Did she what?" Nia asks, confused.

"Well, I guess you can say we have an announcement to make." Alex says, speaking up, and looking at Kelly again.

"Alex just proposed, we are getting married!" Kelly finishes, raising up her left hand to show the ring which is now on it.

After Kelly says this, the room soon bursts into various sounds of excitement and glee. Lena is the first to approach Kelly and Alex, and offer them a hug and her congratulations. Lena is then followed by the rest of the group.