Chapter 19 - Back to School

Since Eliza has left for the day, Kara has noticed that Lori's mood has got a bit more solemn. Kara knows that this is likely because the 7-year-old has very much grown attached to Eliza over these last, almost, 2 days. Kara thinks this is because Lori has never really had a sort of grandma figure in her life, so clinging to Eliza has been very easy for the little girl. Although, admittedly, Kara also knows that most kids would cling to Eliza, because she just has that sort of personality that makes kids want to spend time with her. Kara, for her part, experienced it when Eliza and Jeremiah first brought her into their home. Kara looked on at Eliza, and saw this woman, who even though she didn't know, just had so much love and affection in her eyes, and Kara simply felt better being in her presence. So, Kara is pretty sure that Lori might be feeling the exact same way right now.

"Lori, you okay?" Kara asks her foster daughter, with a sad smile, as they all sit in the living room together, with Lori sitting between Kara and Lena on one of the couches.

"Yeah." Lori replies, sadly.

In response to this, Kara knows that she has no words to say that will make Lori feel better, so instead, she simply wraps an arm around Lori's shoulders, and pulls her closer to her, taking her in for a side hug.

"You'll see Eliza again soon." Kara says, after a few moments.

Lori simply nods her head.

After this, Kara, Lena, Lori, Kelly, Alex and Esme all spend the rest of the afternoon, and some time into the evening, chatting with each other, breaking out a few board games here and there to play. As they do this, Lori's mood improves dramatically, with Lori getting along with Esme pretty well too, which makes Kara very pleased, for multiple reasons. However, the time does come when Kelly, Alex and Esme all have to leave too.

"Okay. I think we have to go now." Kelly says.

"Really?" Lori asks, with a pout, clearly having really bonded with everyone, including Kelly and Esme, which makes Kara very happy.

"Yes. I'm sorry, little one." Kelly says, with a soft smile.

"Kelly and I have to take Esme back to the home she's staying in." Alex explains, "But hopefully this week she'll come and move in with us, then you can see her again."

"Okay." Lori nods, still sadly, but in a slightly better mood than before.

"It was nice to meet you, Lori." Esme says, politely, looking at the 7-year-old.

"It was nice meeting you too." Lori smiles back, "I hope we can play together again some time."

"I'd like that." Esme replies, with a smile.

After this, Kelly, Alex and Esme all say their goodbyes to Kara, Lena and Lori, with Kara and Lena both expressing how much they enjoyed meeting Esme, and look forward to seeing her again in the future. Kara and Lena both know that there is no way that Kelly and Alex don't end up adopting Esme at this point, as she is really such a sweet and lovely girl, and they both know that when Alex and Kelly want something, there is basically nothing that can get in either of their ways.

Eventually, a few minutes later, Kara, Lena and Lori are left alone in Kara's apartment, none of them sure what to do now. Kara does know that seeing as it is Sunday Lena will likely have to leave soon too, but she hopes the CEO spends a little more time with her and Lori, just because she loves having Lena around, and she certainly knows that Lori does too.

"Soooo..... what should we do now?" Kara asks, a bit awkwardly.

Lena looks at Kara and chuckles, amused by Kara's awkwardness. However, that is just one of the things that Lena loves about the blonde.