Chapter 46 - Trial Nerves

It is now the day before the trial for custody of Lori begins. That means that over the last week, Kara has had to go to two more meetings with the lawyers to discuss everything. Meetings that have all been just as unpleasant as the first two, never getting better. They aren't unpleasant because the lawyers are not nice or anything. In fact, the lawyers have all been great, and understanding of Kara's situation. The meetings are just unpleasant because Kara is nervous the whole time, and all she can think about while she is in the meetings is how she wants to get home and be with Lori, and just cuddle her and hold her tight, and never let go. However, Kara has got through all the meetings now, with all the preparations being done. All that is left is to actually start the trial itself. The trial being something that Kara is very much not looking forward to, as she knows that whatever she was feeling during the meetings with the lawyers, for the trial preparation, is going to be ten times worse in the trial itself.

Today is the day before the trial though, so today Kara is just very much trying to focus on spending time with Lori, and giving her extra affection and everything. This is not only for her own sake, as it's what makes Kara feel better. But it is also for Lori's sake, because Kara has not hid the fact from Lori that this week the trial for custody of her will begin. Lori, for her part, doesn't seem too worried about it though, although Kara knows that's just because of her promise to run away with Lori if she does lose the trial. Of course, Kara does still plan to stick to that, because no one is ever going to take Lori from her, her daughter. However, Kara just doesn't think Lori quite understands how things will be like, what their lives will be like, if they do end up doing that. There will be so many things that they both miss out on, and Lori misses out on, even if Lena ends up coming with them. They will have to basically only be close with one another, as everyone else they will need to put at arm's length, so that no one realises who they really are or anything. Then, because of all that, Lori will not really be able to make any friends, and the big friend that she has made so far, Esme, she will lose completely. Kara thinks that will upset Lori very very much. So, she is really really hoping that it doesn't come to that, and she can just win this trial, for both their sakes.

Presently, as it is a Sunday, and Kara is worried about the trial tomorrow, Kara has decided just to have a bit of a lazy Sunday, staying in her apartment with Lori for the day, and having some quality time together. Lena is not at Kara's apartment right now, as while Lena did spend part of the day with them yesterday, she did not stay for the evening. This is an unusual thing from Lena, as it has basically become normal for Lena to spend every night at Kara and Lori's apartment. However, Kara is pretty sure that Lena did this because she wanted to let Kara just have some more alone time with Lori, which Kara was honestly very grateful for. Kara took full advantage of it, and stayed up watching a movie with Lori, while they cuddled on the couch. Then, once Lori fell asleep during the movie, Kara carried her daughter to her own bedroom, and got into bed with her, and snuggled her all night long. It truly was an amazing evening, and it made Kara think about everything she is fighting for, and more specifically, who she is fighting for. This next week might absolutely suck, because of the trial, but at the end of the day she is doing it for Lori. Kara is fighting for Lori, and if a miracle does happen, and she actually wins the trial, then Kara just knows that she will feel incredible.

Even though last night Lena didn't stay the night, so that Kara could have some alone time with Lori, tonight, and this afternoon, Lena will be coming around to spend time with the mother and daughter. This is because, Kara recognises that the upcoming trial isn't just about her. In fact, it's not even about just her and Lori. It's about all of them. It's about her, Lori, Lena, and all their other friends and family, as this trial could change everything, either in a positive sense, or a negative one. So, Kara is well aware that due to the stakes of the trial, Lena should be around with them, sharing this last part of their day together, just sort of being a family. As Kara certainly knows that's what she wants in the future now. If she does win custody of Lori, and get to officially adopt her, Kara wants herself, Lori and Lena to live together permanently, as a family. Kara wants Lena to be Lori's other mother, as Lori deserves to have two parents. Lori deserves all that love. Then also, Kara just loves Lena so much, and she knows that she wants to spend the rest of her life with her, even though a part of her is worried that she would be rushing into everything too fast, as in reality they only started dating a few months ago. However, at the end of the day, Kara also knows that her and Lena's relationship is different than a normal relationship, because they had years of being best friends built into it before they began dating, and perhaps during those years of being best friends, they may have crossed the line of what normal best friends do with each other. Such as, times when each of their eyes have gazed down at the other's lips, or how they happily fell asleep in bed with each other, cuddled up, and then a bunch of different other things. This relationship is just different, and not normal, and honestly, Kara doesn't care about that. Being normal is boring, as she has not been normal since the day she arrived on Earth.