Chapter 43 - Trial Preparations

It is now later on in the day, and Kara and Lori have continued to have their fun day together after leaving Lena's office once they had lunch with her. Of course, continuing to have fun with Lori throughout the day has been a bit more of a challenge for Kara now, simply because of finding out that the trial where she will have to fight to keep custody of Lori, starts 2 weeks from Monday. However, despite having found out this worrying news, Kara has tried her best to just put on a happy face for Lori. The last thing Kara wants is for Lori to know that there is something wrong, which is worrying her, especially after Lori has just found out about the whole custody battle and everything. So, for the rest of today, Kara has just tried to focus on Lori, and stay in the moment, having fun with the girl who she considers to be her daughter. This all lasted until early on in the evening, when Lena arrived at Kara's apartment, and paid attention to Lori for a while, which just allowed Kara to head into her bedroom, and take a moment to just break down a little bit, and process everything, as the bad thing for Kara has been that she literally has not been able to tell anyone about the news, as she has had Lori with her all day, so she has had to just bottle it up.

Right now though, it is much later in the evening, and Kara and Lena have already put Lori to bed, with the two girlfriends sitting on one of Kara's couches, drinking some wine. Kara finally just has a moment to unwind, and relax, before she knows that she has to tell Lena the news of when the court battle is going to be.

"You okay?" Lena asks.

Kara is silent for a little while, which Lena takes as a bad sign.

"I didn't want to ask in front of Lori, but Jess told me that when you took that phone call earlier, during our lunch, you said to her that everything was not okay." Lena says.

Kara now turns to look at Lena once the brunette finishes speaking, and Lena can clearly see that Kara has a nervous and anxious look on her face.

"Yeah, I'm not okay." Kara says, "That call I took earlier was Mark, and he told me that the court date has been set for 2 weeks on Monday."

"That soon?" Lena asks, surprised.

"Yeah, Mark expects that Stephen Andrews might have pulled some strings to get the trial to be so soon." Kara says.

"What about the judge?" Lena asks, now going into full focused mode on the trial, "Did Mark tell you the judge you are getting, and any information on them?"

"Yeah. He told me the judges name and everything. It's a woman. I can't remember her name off the top of my head. But he told me that she is a fair judge, and isn't one that is going to be manipulated by anything that Stephen Andrews, and his various contacts can do." Kara says.

"Well, that's one good thing at least." Lena says.

"Yeah..." Kara nods, but in a solemn voice, "I.... I know that I wanted the trial to be done quickly and everything. But.... I never thought that it would be this quick. It..... it's kind of scary."

"I know." Lena says, as she moves closer to her girlfriend, and takes her in for a hug, "But you are going to win this trial. I truly believe that."

"Yeah.... I hope so." Kara says.

"And if you don't..... I'll happily go on the run with you and Lori." Lena says.

Kara now turns to look at Lena with wide-eyes. Lena can't help but chuckle.

"Lori might have mentioned something earlier. She asked me to come with the two of you." Lena says.

"Oh.... well..... I...... I don't really know what to say to that." Kara says, "Are you.... upset with me?"