Chapter Twenty-One: Someone To Watch Over Me

Ethan's Pov

Me, Spencer and Emily walked inside the house and to say my sister was stressed would be an understatement.

"I feel like whole parts of my brain have shut down. I used to love algebra, or at least I understood it. And now it's a mess" Spencer said.

We put our bags on top of the kitchen counter as Spencer made her way to the fridge.

"Well, it can get really abstract" I shrugged and Emily nodded.

"Yeah, but that's what I liked about it. X's, Y's, Z's, none of it real. I could deal with that" Spencer said.

She handed me a muffin, me nodding at her in thanks, while she gave Emily a yogurt.

"You just isolate the X factor" I said.

"And now I feel like I'm the X factor" Spencer sighed.

I sighed and patted her shoulder, wanting to give her some comfort.

We heard footsteps from upstairs and turned around to see mom coming down and walking towards us.

"Honey, where were you?" Mom asked, worried, while holding a piece of paper in her hand.

"Well, we stopped along the way at Emily's" I said and Spencer nodded.

"It's mostly intimidation, so I want you to stay calm" Mom softly said.

"Stay calm about what?" Spencer asked, confused.

"They served a search warrant" Mom sighed.

Mine and Spencer's eyes widened in shock as mom handed the paper to Spencer.

"For where? For what?" Spencer asked.

She unfolded the paper and I scooted closer to her to read what was on the letter.

"The house, the barn, your room" Mom said.

"My room?" Spencer asked, eyes wide in shock.

She quickly set the paper down and made a run for it to head upstairs.

"No, Spencer, don't interfere. Honey!" Mom yelled, running after her.

Me and Emily looked at each other before setting our things down and running after them, wanting to see what was going on.

We ran into Spencer's room to see a bunch of officers going through her stuff and putting them inside boxes.

"Make them get out" Spencer said, looking at mom with pleading eyes.

"I can't. You're a person of interest in a murder investigation. They're just, they're doing their job, in an especially ham-fisted way" Mom said, shooting one of the officers a pointed look.

"Well, what are they looking for?" I asked.

"Things that connect Spencer to Alison and what happened to her" Mom said.

I sighed in annoyance and tugged on my hair, not believing that my sister is going through something like this.

I heard footsteps from outside Spencer's room and looked up to see Ian standing there.

I glared at him when I saw a small smirk appearing on his face before he began drinking his milk.

"You little" I muttered angrily under my breath.

I tried walking towards him but Spencer and Emily grabbed my arms, pulling me back.

"Don't, not with the cops here" Spencer softly whispered in my ear.