Chapter Thirty-Nine: Let The Water Hold Me Down

Ethan's Pov

After what happened at the lake house me, Spencer and Emily took Hanna back to our house so she could warm up and process everything that happened.

I'm not sure how Aria was able to come over, but she's here so that's that.

Hanna was currently sitting on the couch near the fireplace while wearing my jacket. I wanted to make sure she was warm.

Me and Aria walked over to her and sat down.

"Here's some aspirin" Aria softly said.

Hanna nodded in thanks as Aria gently rubbed her shoulder.

"You want me to make you some soup?" I softly asked.

"Thanks, bubs, but I'm not hungry" Hanna said.

I nodded in understanding and gently rubbed her thigh.

"You want a blanket?" Spencer asked.

"Sure" Hanna nodded.

Spencer wrapped the blanket around her before sitting down as Emily walked towards Hanna with her bag in her hands.

"Here's your bag. I think Caleb called. Your phone was making noise" Emily said.

Hanna just nodded and set her bag down, probably not in the mood to talk to her boyfriend.

"Han. Now, I know that you might not be ready to talk about this, but the sheriff said that they're gonna drag the lake first thing in the morning" Spencer explained.

"Lucas isn't in the lake" Hanna said.

"He didn't come up to shore. We waited" Emily said.

"He knows how to swim, alright? He's out there somewhere. I can feel it" I sternly said.

"Me too" Hanna nodded.

Aria sighed and looked at all of us, disbelief written all over her face.

"I still can't believe Lucas would help A" Aria said.

"Why not? Jenna did the same thing with Caleb" Spencer said.

"A knows that Lucas is close to Hanna and Ethan" Emily said.

I scoffed at their responses and looked away from them.

I'm tired of their bullshit. Lucas isn't helping A, he never was. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for all of this and it's most certainly not that.

"No, I-I get it, I just...don't really see Lucas as being that violent" Aria shrugged.

It was silent for a few seconds before Hanna spoke up.

"He can be" Hanna softly said.

We all looked at her with furrowed eyebrows, confused and curious as to what she was talking about.

"Lucas was the one who destroyed Alison's memorial. I found out the night Ethan got out of the hospital" Hanna said.

The girls eyes widened in shock and disbelief.

While I remained neutral.

"Ethan, why aren't you in shock?" Emily asked, confused.

"Because I can see it. I had a feeling he did it, and I can't really blame him after everything that Ali did to him" I sighed.

Everything that Alison did and said to him is the reason why he's like this.

Even when I defended him against her, it wasn't enough because he still got hurt. Mentally.