Chapter Sixty-Two: She's Better Now

Ethan's Pov

I was peacefully sleeping. Well, that was until I was rudely awakened by something. 

Or rather someone.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and gasped. My eyes shot open and I quickly sat up from my bed. I grabbed my baseball bat that was near my bedside table and held it in the air, ready to swing at whoever woke me up.

My eyes widened and my heart began pounding more when I realized who it was.

It was freaking Mona.

What the hell is she doing here? Shouldn't she be at Radley?

"Is it a bad time?" Mona asked.

"What the hell do you think? What are you even doing here?" I asked.

I put my baseball bat on the bed but kept my hand around it, refusing to let it go.

You know, just in case I might actually need to use it.

"My doctors released me" Mona said.

"In the middle of the night?" I asked in disbelief. 

"Look Ethan, I need your help. My parents are forcing me to go back to school, and I'm...look, I'm so scared" Mona said.

"Mona..." I trailed off.

"Everyone knows what I've done, and I have no one in my corner" Mona said.

"If you're expecting me and my friends to forgive you-" I started but she cut me off.

"I don't expect them too, but, Ethan, you're different" Mona said.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion when she said that.

I flinched when she reached over to grab my hand. My other hand tightened around my bat.

"Wren said you were my guardian angel. You and Hanna. He said that you guys stood up for me" Mona said.

I rolled my eyes and quickly pulled my hand out of hers.

"You are not defenseless, Mona. You spent the last two years majoring in torture" I said, clearly annoyed.

"So, you don't believe that a person can get better?" Mona asked, sitting down at the edge of my bed.

I didn't say anything at that.

"Ethan, I had a breakdown, but I've turned the corner. I'm on new meds, everything's changed. I'm not proud of who I was. Just try to see me for who I am. Now" Mona explained.

I pressed my lips into a thin line and I shook my head.

"I do see you, Mona. Before I saw the girl who I thought of as my best friend. Now, I only see the girl that betrayed me after everything I did for her" I explained.

Mona frowned at that. I saw guilt washing through her eyes.

It's fair to say that I'm still not over what she did.

I mean, she ran me over with a car and nearly killed me.

After everything that I did for her in the past and now, she still had the decency to try and kill me.

"Ethan? Honey?" I heard mom ask from behind her door.

Mine and Mona's eyes widened as we glanced at each other.

Why the hell is mom up at this hour? She's always fast asleep during the night.

"Yeah, mom?" I asked.

"Are you alright? I swear I heard voices in there" Mom asked.

"I'm fine, mom. I was just reading out loud, I had trouble sleeping. Go back to sleep, everything's fine" I reassured her.