Chapter Fifty-One: Kingdom Of The Blind

Ethan's Pov

The girls and I were near the entrance of the courtyard watching Jenna. She was running her fingers along a brail  music sheet in her lap, keeping up with her 'blind' act.

"God, what a performance" Hanna scoffed.

"Can you imagine faking it for so long? What do you think she's planning?" I asked, my curiosity taking over.

"Well, that's what Aria has to find out" Spencer said.

This made Aria look at her with wide eyes in shock, clearly not expecting her to say that.

"She trusts you. Or at least she wants you to think that she does" Spencer said.

"Great. That's awesome" Aria sarcastically said.

"Hey, I'll trade you Mona for Jenna" Hanna offered.

"No thanks" Aria quickly said.

"I think I felt safer when Mona wasn't talking" Emily said.

"There she goes" I said.

The girls turned around to see Jenna standing up as she took her stick out and began walking away.

"We should push a table in front of her and see what happens" Hanna suggested.

"God, Hanna, you have all the subtlety of a hand grenade" Spencer chuckled.

"Thank you" Hanna smiled.

I chuckled softly at her and shook my head, gently patting her head.

With that the five of us walked back inside the school building as we began walking around in the hallway together.

"Has your mom said anything to either of you about taking Garrett's case?" Emily asked, looking at me and Spencer.

"Not yet. But Melissa's coming home tomorrow, so she'll probably tell the three of us at the same time" Spencer said.

"Cause that's how it works in our family. We keep the one-on-ones to a minimum" I sarcastically smiled.

"You're not helping yourself, Mr. Gottesman" we heard Principal Hackett say loudly.

We stopped walking and turned around to see Lucas walking away, an annoyed expression on his face, while Principal Hackett stood a few feet behind him.

"This all goes on your permanent record!" Principal Hackett yelled.

Lucas just rolled his eyes and continued walking, but when his eyes locked on mine and Hanna he stopped. He spared us a quick glance before quickly walking away.

Hanna and I looked at each other before following behind him, determined to find out what was wrong with our friend.

We walked around for a bit before we found him in one of the classrooms. We entered the room and saw him staring at the letter in his hand.

"Lucas? Why is vice-principal Hackett so mad at you?" Hanna asked in concern.

Lucas turned to look at us and held the letter up in his hand.

"I'm supposed to give this to my parents. It looks like I've lost my positive attitude. Negatively impacting my social interactions and grades" Lucas explained, walking towards us.

I frowned while Hanna continued looking at him in concern.

What happened to Lucas over the summer that made him like this?

"Impacting? Impacting. That's not even a word" Lucas angrily scoffed.

"Are you ok?" I softly asked.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm just fine" Lucas smiled.