Chapter Fourty-Nine: It Happened That Night

5 Months Later
Ethan's Pov

5 months had passed since everything happened.

5 months of no A. No looking over my shoulder. No threats. No Mona.

I was able to spend my entire summer just having fun, spending time with family and friends. It was absolutely amazing.

My summer internship at Harvard was amazing. Sure, hard at times, but I had enjoyed every single minute of it.

Me and the girls were able to experience something we haven't had in a while. Fun. Real fun.

However, the only one that didn't really enjoy their summer was Emily.

After Maya's body was found Emily was and still is completely heartbroken. Her girlfriend was dead and she's not coming back. The girl she loved was gone and Emily felt nothing but sadness.

I did the best that I could to help her heal during the entire summer, even during my internship, I did the best I could to help her.

Right now the girls were at mine and Spencer's house. We were celebrating making it to senior year since we were all ecstatic at the news.

"Em, you and I are the only ones who did anything worth talking about this summer. I mean, Aria took some boring picture class, Spencer went to college and Ethan did his boring internship at Harvard" Hanna scoffed.

I playfully glared at her as Spencer gave her an offended look.

"I took a full load at Hollis. Aria beat out a thousands applicants for a space in that photography class and Ethan nailed his internship" Spencer smiled.

I smiled at that and nodded, taking a sip of my beer.

"So, how many houses did you build?" Hanna asked, looking at Emily.

"Uh, I think we finished about six" Emily said.

"And in poor countries, one house is like a home for fifty" Hanna smiled.

"Ok, miss Productive. How much of your list did you actually do?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

"Let's see" Hanna smiled.

She took out a small notebook and pen that were in her pocket.

"Cooking class with Caleb. Done. Volunteer at the Animal Shelter for pocket dogs" Hanna said.

"Wait, that exists?" Spencer asked, shocked.

"Did not do. Expand my vocabulary, effectuating" Hanna smiled.

Me and Aria gasped in a fake surprise while Spencer chuckled at us in amusement.

"Interned for Vera Wang" Hanna said.

"You got an internship for Vera Wang?" Emily asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

"Yeah, I changed my mind. Turns out they want you to work for free" Hanna said, rolling her eyes.

I chuckled at that and shook my head at her, amused.

"Is that a car?" Aria asked, looking outside when she heard a noise

"No, it's just the wind" Hanna said.

We heard another noise and turned around, only to see Emily pouring herself another drink.

"Oh, careful, Em, they're already pretty strong" Aria said.

"Maybe for you, you're a pixie. I've gotten really good at this" Emily smiled before gulping down her drink.

We all looked at her in worry before looking at each other.

Just then the girls phones all rang, causing them to take them out and see who it was from.