Chapter Thirty-One: Save The Date

Ethan's Pov

Me and Spencer managed to get away from Garrett and we met up with Aria in her car. Hanna was waiting for us there too.

We were parked near Emily's house, waiting for her to come out so we could talk to her as well.

"So it was just the three of you sitting in Garrett's car?" Hanna asked.

"We didn't know where else to meet him" Spencer said and I nodded.

"Yeah. It wasn't like we could ask him that stuff down at the precinct" I sighed and Spencer nodded.

"How did you guys get away from him?" Aria asked.

"When you sent me that text, I told him it was from my mom. That she wanted me and Spencer home asap" I explained.

"Am I still shaking? I'm still shaking" Spencer said, looking at her hands.

"We're all shaking" Hanna snapped.

I sighed and nodded as I bounced my leg up and down.

"Can you turn on the heat? You could make a slushy back here" Hanna sighed.

"Guys, why would Jenna give him that lantern?" Aria asked, confused.

"Ok, you don't know that she gave it to him" Hanna shrugged.

"What do you think, he bought it at the blind artists' crafts fair? Of course she gave it to him" Spencer sarcastically said.

"The question is, when did they become buddies? And why?" I asked, confused. 

"Bubs, they grew up across the street from each other. His parents still live in that house. Maybe he's just bringing raw meat to Jenna's cat" Hanna shrugged.

"Toby lives there, too, and they don't have a cat. Trust me, I've been inside that house" I said.

"Then maybe he was bringing over raw meat for Jenna" Hanna shrugged.

"Here comes Em" Aria said.

We all turned around to see Emily walking out of her house, her hands inside her jacket pocket.

"Who's living in her house now?" Spencer asked.

"Some losers who can't figure out the alarm system. They've tripped it like three times. The security company keeps calling her mom in Texas" Hanna scoffed, shaking her head.

We smiled at Emily as she walked towards us and opened the car door and got inside the backseat next to Hanna.

"Everything ok?" Spencer asked.

"Yeah, it's fine. It's just so weird to walk in there and see other people's stuff" Emily nodded.

"Hey, why don't you tell 'em to lay off the alarm for a couple of days?" I asked.

"I'm guessing they don't feel safe" Emily shrugged.

"Well, they will now. I'm sure Aria's parents are gonna have Mike on lockdown till he turns 18" Hanna said.

This made me give her a look of disbelief, Aria doing the same.

"You did not just say that, Han" Aria said, her voice filled with nothing but annoyance and disbelief.

"What? I'm not judging. I'm just guessing that your little brother will find another hobby besides breaking and entering" Hanna said.

"Still talking, buttercup" I sighed, shaking my head.

"Guys, look, I don't know what's going on with my brother. If I knew, you would know" Aria sighed.

I frowned and gently patted her shoulder, hoping it would give her some comfort.