Chapter Fourty One: A Kiss Before Lying

Ethan's Pov

I feel really bad about yesterday.

Not for what I said to Caleb, Spencer and Emily, but for not telling Hanna.

I probably should've told her because she's in on this just as much as the rest of us, but at the same time I felt like Spencer and Emily, or Caleb, should have the courage to tell her themselves about what they're doing.

I know I said I wouldn't get involved in what they're doing if Hanna won't be apart of it, but I just feel like a big jerk for not telling Hanna what she deserves to know.

God, I hope that when she does find out she doesn't hate me.

Me and the girls were at school in line at the cafeteria. We were grabbing our food as Hanna decided to break the silence.

"So what'd you guys do last night?" Hanna asked.

The girls glanced at each other nervously, while I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, we studied for a chem test" Aria said.

"We went to Spencer's for help" Emily said.

"What about you, bubs?" Hanna asked, looking at me.

"I spent most of my time studying and doing homework at the Grille" I shrugged.

Hanna smiled and nodded before Spencer spoke up.

"So today is doomsday, huh?" Spencer asked.

"Why? Did you see her?" Hanna asked in worry.

"Han, maybe Kate wants to start fresh" Emily said.

"The last time I gave her the benefit of the doubt, I ended up blowing chunks on my chunky heels" Hanna said in annoyance.

"Yeah, I don't trust that girl not one bit, and if she's going to be 'cheating face's' step-daughter, that would explain her nasty behavior" I scoffed.

Aria and Spencer snorted at the name I gave Mr. Marin, while Hanna sent me a half-hearted glare.

I have no regrets about calling him that. None.

"Oh, my God! Is that her?" Hanna gasped, looking behind her.

"What?" I asked, turning around.

Hanna sighed before turning around, shaking her head.

"Nevermind" Hanna said.

The girls all gave her deadpan looks while I sighed and shook my head as I picked up my tray.

"Buttercup, come on, you need to relax" I softly said.

"I would be if you guys were doing a better job keeping a lookout" Hanna said in annoyance.

The girls glared at her as they all picked up their trays as we began walking to our table.

"Hanna, I never got a good look at Kate to begin with. The only time I've ever seen her was across a crowded church" Spencer said, clearly annoyed.

Spencer walked in front of us when Hanna spoke up again.

"What is hanging out under your sweater? Is that a dude's undershirt?" Hanna asked.

Me and the girls stopped to look and we could see the undershirt as well.

Spencer stopped walking and stayed quiet for a second before shrugging her shoulders.

"Maybe" Spencer said.

She walked towards the table and quickly sat down.

When she realized none of us had sat down she turned around to look at us, only to see us giving her the 'really' looks.