Chapter Fourty-Five: Father Knows Best

Ethan's Pov

Melissa drove Spencer and I somewhere private so she could talk to us about what she wanted to.

Spencer was sitting in the passenger seat while I was sitting in the backseat.

"It wasn't like I went running to the cops" Melissa said.

"You lied to me and then you got in a car with Garrett Reynolds. I saw you" Spencer said.

"I didn't want you to worry. If you knew I was talking to the police-" Melissa started but Spencer cut her off.

"Why him?" Spencer asked.

"Garrett was lan's friend. And he's been really kind to me since the funeral. He checks in on me, he takes me to the doctor when he can. And I needed someone to talk to" Melissa explained.

"You could've come to me, I'm always there for you and you know that" I said.

"And what did you and Garrett even talk about?" Spencer asked.

"About Ian. I still don't believe that I married the guy who was capable of killing Alison. The night of the funeral, I wanted to talk to you both about this. I've been holding onto this feeling that something was wrong ever since then" Melissa explained.

"So you went to Garrett about it last night?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

"I did, but, I think it was a mistake. I shared a lot with him. Maybe too much" Melissa sighed.

Me and Spencer looked at each other before looking back at her.

"Like what?" Spencer asked.

Melissa sighed and leaned her head against her seat. She released another sigh before looking back at us.

"Do you both remember that summer? It seemed like Mom and Dad were constantly fighting. The day Alison went missing, it stopped" Melissa said.

This made me frown, getting more interested about what she has to say.

"And I don't think it was a coincidence. Dad, he had a really strange reaction when he heard the news. It was, it was almost like he was relieved" Melissa said.

"We're listening. Go on" Spencer urged her.

"One night before she disappeared, I came home late. Dad was up, something was bothering him, but I didn't notice at first. I was a wreck myself. I had caught Alison flirting with Ian again. I sent texts to-" Melissa started explaining but I cut her off.

"To Ali?" I asked, sparing Spencer a glance.

"Telling her to back the hell off. I told Dad everything. I didn't know what else to do" Melissa said.

"Did you sign these texts?" Spencer asked.

Please tell me she didn't. Please tell me she didn't.

"I didn't have to. She knew who they were from" Melissa shrugged.

I gulped at that, considering it wasn't the answer I wanted, it just made her a bit more suspicious.

"Yeah. So, what did Dad say?" I asked.

"Nothing. He just had this look. Like he supported me" Melissa said.

"And you told this to Garrett?" Spencer asked.

"Ugh. I never should have opened up to him. I was venting, trying to sort through my feelings" Melissa said.

I groaned and tugged at my hair in slight frustration before looking back at my sister.