A crow's nest

Important AN: This is an alternate universe! Kaz's Father and Brother are still alive, I have devised a plan to keep Kaz's trauma without completely destroying his childhood so without further ado, please enjoy this chapter! Also small trigger warning for animal death.

It had been an assumption on their part - he never outright spoke of them, and it had simply become something that was assumed.

Almost all of them had lost their family to some tragedy, and for such a hard beginning, and his denial of having parents at all, they had simply concluded that everything came down to simple misfortune.

But it all changed when they stood on a packed dirt road and walked in the caress of sunshine toward a small house that had been settled at the edge of the fields, just before large orchards stretching backward. The house, they had thought, would be empty and abused by abandonment and nature.

Yet, as Kaz approached the screen door swung open, slamming against the wall with a soft clang as an older boy who looked remarkably like a happier Kaz barreled straight into him. "Kazzie!" He shouted, wrapping his arms around Kaz in a close approximation of a bear hug, nearly bowling Kaz over yet still careful not to touch his skin.

Kaz leaned into the touch after a moment of stillness, using one arm to hug him back. "Why do you seem surprised, Jordie? I told you I'd be back."

"You aren't usually." Kaz pulled back and Jordie let him go, hands hanging at his side before he shoved them into his pocket.

"I keep my promises. How's Da?" The crows stared open-mouthed at Kaz and his slightly taller and broader carbon copy.

"Today hasn't been great, but I'm sure you being here will cheer him up!" Jordie rubbed at his neck before glancing over the group, waving at them with a smile. "Though, I'm not sure he can handle so many people all at once." Kaz nodded, "It's ok, we can't all fit here anyway, I booked us a room at the hotel in town."

"Oh, sweet! You're not just going to hide out there are you? We will be seeing you this trip?" Jordie teased giving a disapproving glance at Kaz. The young man merely rolled his eyes, stepping forward, brushing past Jordie only to stop a few strides in.

An older man had reached the porch steps, he looked closer to Jordie, his eyes the same dark color as Kaz's, and he was immediately recognizable as the two brother's father. He had a crop of dark raven hair, a shared family trait, only his curled around and away from a thick, nasty scar cutting through his skull and partially down his face. His gaze was hard and inscrutable, glaring at the reunion before taking slow steps down the porch. His gait was that of an old man, a slight limp similar to Kaz's and also much different. As he approached more was clear about him.

His skin was worn and leathery, tanned by years spent under harsh rays. His hands were calloused and his hair shot through with soft silvers that peppered into the darkness. When he stopped before his sons, his dark eyes softened, and crow's feet emerged, crinkling at the corner of his eyes as a smile bloomed across his scowling expression. He stepped forward and embraced Kaz. Unlike Jordie, Kaz did not hesitate to melt into his father's embrace. A startling show of vulnerability.

"You should have come sooner," he said in a smoky baritone, only addressing Kaz. Kaz let out a soft sigh, tightening his hold on his father.
"I wish I could have." The older man grunted but let go of his hold to observe his son.
"You look tired."
"Da, please."
"Let an old man be concerned for his son, Kazimir."
"You have Jordie for that," Kaz replied with ease, and his father laughed loudly. He threw his arm around Kaz's shoulder but kept any weight from pushing on his shoulders.
"If I only had to worry after one boy I'd look like a much younger man, will you come inside?" Kaz and his father looked up at the group at the same time.