Modern AU

Inej and Kaz were constantly texting each other unless they were together. Because Kaz and Wylan go to college despite their youth it's hard to hang with their friends. During lunch Inej is always on her phone, cracking smiles and huffing at his responses.
When Nina gets tired of this she complains to get Inej's attention.
"Sorry Nina, Kaz's cat snuck into his backpack and he is having a horrible time explaining why his bag is meowing." Inej explained with a snicker. She and Kaz had been dating for two solid years, it was enough time for Inej to heal Kaz as much as possible, and vise versa.

They still do jabs and he still could care less about saints, but that seemed to always make them get along better. Matthias smiled, remembering when he admitted to Kaz that Matthias the great Fjerdan was wrong, and there was something sacred in Kaz's life. Actually two somethings. His cat, dirty paws, Jesper named it, and Inej.
They all lived in a small apartment penthouse together. It had big rooms and then three separate bedrooms which they all shared with their partner. This often caused a lot of chaos but there was never a dull moment in the crows lives, that's what they called themselves, the crows.

Outcasts and runaways, tossed together into a predatory and loving family, if they didn't have one or did, this one was just as real as any other.
"Nina you don't have to wait for me after school today, Kaz is driving me." Inej hummed, tapping at the screen. Nina huffed, "I know my car isn't as good as his, but do you have to have him drive you everywhere." Inej chuckled, "Kaz would kill me for getting in your car more times then needed, you know what he thinks about it." Inej said with a dismissive wave.

"That it's a piece of trash that would easily fall apart." Jesper asked for confirmation. Inej smirked "word for word."
Just then the bell rang and they raced off to their classes.
-----------------
Inej found the shiny black car sitting at the first one in the line, black paint glittering in the rare sun, Inej pretty much skipped over to him, tossing her bag in the back and sitting up front in passenger seat as Kaz pulled off, his car purring.... than actual purring as they got on the freeway to head to their apartment. Inej smiled as Dirtypaws, one of Kaz's cats leapt up onto the arm rest, it rubbed its head against Inej, then turned to Kaz and meowed. He looked at it out of the corner of his eye "I'm still mad at you.." he grumbled toward the cat as it made its way into Inej's lap.

"How did explaining go?" Inej asked calmly. "Horrid." Kaz grumbled, eyes occasionally looking over at Inej. "What did you go with?" Inej's asked, stroking the trouble making cat behind its ears. "That it wasn't mine and somebody slipped it in my bag, I just barely tweaked my way out." Inej arched her delicate brow at him. "So you weren't caught?" He turned to her, flashing a quick smile that stopped Inej's heart. "Am I ever?"

"No.." Inej muttered, "but your pets might give you away one of these days." Inej said, Kaz had Dirtypaws and a dog the called Kajo, being named after the fox from the Ravkan tale, the too clever fox. Kaz rolled his eyes, "maybe they will, maybe they won't." Kaz pulled into his space and he unlocked the door and the both got out of the car, meeting at the front of it and letting their hands clasp as they walked toward the apartment, Dirtypaws hitching a ride in Kaz's bag again.

"So any homework tonight?" Kaz asked, Inej scrambled through her day before smiling up at him "nope!" Kaz smiled as they climbed the stairs. "Then your all mine tonight?" Inej grinned. "We'll see Kaz." He rolled his eyes at her and unlocked the apartment room. As they walked in, Dirtypaws left Kaz's bag and scampered to his room. Kaz tossed his now mostly empty bag on the ground, Inej following his example. They made their way to the couch sitting side by side. Kaz's phone binged before anyone could say anything but he ignored it, then it started binging continuously.

Kaz sighed, leaning away from Inej to check his ever binging phone, Inej arched a brow. Peeking over his shoulder she saw at least seven pictures of crows with caption "Kaz is that you?" Sent from Jesper.
She smirked, snuggling against him. "I'm going to kill him." Kaz stated annoyed. Inej shook her head, tugging on his shirt collar, "tomorrow." He sighed looking into her soft brown eyes. "Tomorrow, I will kill him." Kaz amended, allowing Inej to lay her head on his chest.

I started this a while ago I just never finished. Do hope you guys enjoy! That's where the name Dirtypaws comes from in a more recent chapter. Anyway.. bye! I srsly need to stop writing such short chapters... oh well.