A Bad Investment

"Then why are you here Inej!" He snarled at her, his eyes dark and stormy. He waved a gloved hand toward the window. "If it's truly so unbearable to be with me, then why are you here instead of being with Wylan, or Jesper. Maybe your crew or whatever bilge rat strikes your fancy!" His words were sharp as blades, and Inej returned the attack with her own.

She brought out her knife and sliced it across Kaz's throat in a smooth fluid motion. His gloved hand immediately rose to his neck, smearing the thick blood across his throat.
"Maybe I spend so much time with Wylan and Jesper because they actually can behave themselves- I wanted you Kaz... not Dirtyhands..." Inej turned and headed toward the window. She snarled without turning to him. "You want space between us for a bit? - I'll give you an ocean's worth." Inej slipped out of his room. She had confidence, she knew the blade had only grazed his neck.

Still- she didn't feel good about what she did. Already as she made her way across rooftops her stomach felt like led, she eventually got down onto the street, feeling she might fall if she tried to take another jump.
Kaz had been jealous of how often she spent time with Wylan and Jesper- but rather than addressing that he asked her to stay a little longer. Yet- he had hardly improved. He took off his gloves, but pulled his hand back when she tried to touch him. Then processed to pretend it was nothing and ask if she had time for a job. It has morphed into the disaster that was that moment.
She didn't stop loving Kaz, missing him. However, she often thought he needed that time alone, as he had before, and she would give it to him freely. His anger seemed irrational, at the time, now begin to fit into place.

Inej needed to talk it out with Wylan, he'd know what to do. She hastened her step, moving through the crowd of people swiftly. Someone bumped into her shoulder rather roughly, Inej growled. "Excuse you," and glared at their back as they hurried along. Then a sharp pain in her neck, as a needle pushed something into her bloodstream and the world became foggy and black very fast.

——————————————————————————

The world slowly came back into focus, the walls were a dark wood. Red wallpaper was smattered in shadow. Inej's eyes slowly became more focused in the dim light. The walls were luxurious, and the place seemed immaculately clean. So, that crossed out just about anywhere in the Barrel. Inej didn't need to wonder for very long when Pekka Rollins stepped into view. Her heart sank, and he smiled brightly.
"Hello Inej, was it?"
"I thought you were warned to never return." His face darkened at the reminder.
"Yes well, I think you'll both regret that." A burly guard cracked his knuckles as he approached her. Pekka turned and left the room. "Call me when she starts taking."
—————————-

Inej groaned, everything ached. Her jaw was sore and swollen, her teeth ached and her right eye wouldn't open. The room was warm, which was about the only good thing about it, her blood decorated the floor below her and she was tied onto a chair, the ropes holding her wrists to the chair scraped roughly on her skin . But, she hadn't given any information, which meant Kaz was safe. That was all that mattered, he would be okay. Then Pekka came in, and stood in front of Inej.

"Wraith, how are you feeling? Rather poor I should hope." he kicked Inej's left leg, she yelped, twisting in her restraints as her leg tensed and the muscles pulled tighter, blood trickled down from a large gash in her leg.

"Don't worry. It'd be a waste of time, trying to get information out of you. At least, not by yourself." The door opened and there was shuffling, but Pekka was in the way so Inej couldn't see what was going on. He stepped aside to reveal Kaz Brekker. He was chained and his fingers were tied together. There was a black silky bag over his head, keeping his face hidden. He was slouched forward, out cold. Inej immediately pushed herself forward.