Re-Write: Clipped Wings

SOC Recap time: "Where is Kuwei!" "I'd be happy to tell you when we're safely back in Ketterdamn and have our money." "Kill everyone but Brekker!"

"Guards, Take Brekker only!"

Her eyes had met his, in that moment of breath that they had, she had turned to meet his dark gaze. Then the fight began, the scuffle was a mess. The Parem-induced squallers had struck down, Some being taken down by expert shots. But they were smart, and it didn't take much. Several came launching down at Kaz, a sharp blow to the head was all it took. A sickening crack could be heard as Kaz crumpled under the pressure, and then they were going up, and he was taken with them.

Van Eck's words had rung in her ears before he escaped with one of his Squallors. "You have a week to find or reveal Kuwei. Until then, we'll see how much he can take before he divulges the information himself." Jesper's aims were set, and Inej shivered. They were too high, and any shot would endanger Kaz's life. If they shot Van Eck all chances of getting him back were lost. "Don't shoot." Jesper had startled and looked back at her shocked.

After that, it was blurry. Inej was standing on the deck of the ship as they made their way back off of that wretched island, staring at the spot in the sky where his form had disappeared. Her hands gripped the railing fiercely, stunned. The crew was quiet, seething and kruge-less. "What now?" came Nina's question, and Inej wasn't ready to hear it.

"I don't know," Inej said honestly, in a small voice. She couldn't keep her eyes off that spot in the sky. It wasn't right, after all of that, he couldn't just be gone. They couldn't have just... lost. What would Kaz do, if their positions had been switched? He'd figure something out, he'd plan and scheme till he was back on top. Yet Inej, despite helping him place together most of his crazy pyramid-scheme plans, could never figure out how he got the ideas and made them work. She was out of her depth.

"Is that it?" Wylan whispered, his voice shaking. The question hung int he air, but it was Jesper who foolishly spoke the unspoken question. "Do we go back- cut our losses?" "No." Inej shot that down immediately, her stomach flipping that he could even think about leaving Kaz like that. "Inej," Nina started but Inej shook her head and growled. "Give me some time... We can't just, leave him with that monster." Inej's voice quivered. Silence engulfed them again. 

----------

It took an almost embarrassingly long time for Inej to figure out a plan. But her mind was made up as she made her way to the crime lord. "and what's in it for me?" Pekka leered, Inej tried not to let it unnerve her too much. "Profit. Mr. Rollins," she wanted to recoil at the way he smiled when she used that term. "There is business to be had here, think of it as an investment. We both get what we want." Pekka smiled a quick grin. "You're out of your depth, but I'll do my best to help you out." Inej could see that smile, planning her demise and his inevitable victory. He thought she was a pigeon, and she was perfectly fine with that. "Thank you again, Mr. Rollins."

--------

Inej took the roofs, moving through the barrel with ease, she snuck back to black veil, thanking that Kaz had confided in her this one secret. As she snuck in the silent tomb, Jesper sat up warily. "Are we ready." "Yes." It was risky, but letting Kaz stay in his grips was even more so. They went over the plan one last time, Nina was to take out the guards, create a diversion. "Carefully. We're not trading lives." Inej reminded them, Wylan was supposed to help. Matthias was to capture Jan's wife, and Inej and Jesper were to leave the note for Van Eck.

To meet at noon, on the bridge, in exchange for Kaz, Van Eck would get his wife back.

-----

Kaz spat out a glob of blood trying to breathe through his nose,  as Van Eck swiped his knuckles clean. "Now, want to answer that again?" "What, you think I've never been punched before, or do you really think you're so grand that one measly hit from you is going to do anything." Kaz croaked out. The bruises had accumulated over the past few days, and his whole frame ached. The cuts across his skin leaked slowly, and they resurfaced the memories of the barge. He had to fight them if they found out- Another crack to the jaw brought round his attention.