Come home

Inej never realized what it felt like, to wait. Yes, she wanted to return to him, to them and to Ketterdam every time she left because as Kaz always grumbled she had blind loyalty and 'couldn't move on from the sinners who did not deserve her. ' She would roll her eyes at him, then whisper teasingly to him. "Your lucky, your such a bastard I'm surprised I stay... but, I suppose I am the one to have fallen in love with you, personality, cracks and all." He would always flash an amazing smile back and grumble back defiantly "still deserve better." She then would make sure to drive him crazy the rest of the day, spewing Suli proverbs and telling him to watch his language and such.

Yet it was different, she was always doing something, she had a goal and she was reaching it and could come back whenever, she made the rules. Now, Kaz was gone. Inej was left powerless, staying with Nina, Wylan and Jesper kept her mind off it. But more often than not she would stroll up to the Slat to stare at the window, then head back realizing it was pointless. She had no power of getting him to return to her, and everyday she worried. Kaz would probably have told her "now you know... what it feels like." He wouldn't say it harshly though, he'd murmur it.. softly, getting her to understand.

Inej kept her eyes out the window. Wondering what Kaz did when he felt like this, so powerless. Unable to make sure that she was safe, nightmares floating through her day. Finally the bell signaling a safe return at last, Inej is already over there. Kaz and Nikolai are talking, future war plans and good moments in that time. Nikolai smiles and nods at Kaz who must have sensed Inej. He turns and walks over to her, a small controlled smile. She notices a few new scars, but it's not like half his face was gone or anything so she supposed she'd let it go. She wrapped his hand in her own. "I missed you.." she said in a lower voice. "You don't when your the only one gone?" He teased, Inej rolled her eyes. "I do more when I can't control how long it goes." Inej told him, he nodded understandingly. "Let's go somewhere more private to talk." He suggested, not being on for the crowds. Inej smiled knowingly, taking his ungloved hand in hers and they started heading toward the Slat.

Small idea that I just wanted to get out.