115 K Views Celebration!

Hello Friends, Family, Writers, and Readers! I just want to thank you guys so much for keeping this book alive and thriving. This is such an accomplishment and I am so lucky to have each and every one of you guys reading my work (even though it could be better.)

So, Every now and then I do these reward/thank you chapters, usually they are fluff. But given such a high number, I think it's about time we change it up. After all, I've heard that I do Angst better than fluff anyway. In the meantime, I have a few requests that are being seen to, if you have a request or think I've forgotten yours don't be shy, pm me, I will respond.

So anyways, I'm not dead, and I am so grateful for you guys keeping this story alive. There should be a few more updates coming out, so please stay tuned! Now, Enough talk from me, We all know you guys are here for the story.

Five years had come and gone, still, the Wraith had not seen port in Berth 22. She had been busy, her travels had done well, and though scraped and patched, the Wraith was as frightening as the women it was named after. Slavers trembled in their boots, and the world of rumors and whispers vastly caught on to the ghost captain, a slip of a girl, who would come to take the blood of men in the name of the ones in chains.

But now, now she wasn't the fearsome captain of the Wraith, nor the Wraith herself, she was Inej. As she stepped into the city that owed her nothing, and yet demanded of her so much, she couldn't help but shiver. This was where it all started, where she met Kaz, then the others. Her family, and now it felt like an old home. Changed with rooms barren, scarred by memories long forgotten by anyone who still lived there. Still, Inej felt drawn to it's shadows, to the dirty alleys and the huddled crowds. Knowing she could pick up on the word, on the secrets she had missed, knowing she could return. But did she want to? She kept out of the barrel. She wasn't ready to go there yet, to see him. Five years had come and gone without a spoken or sent word, and therefore, much was unknown.

Inej tried not to focus on the nervousness that she felt. Like she was about to be jumped. The streets seemed to twist in new directions, rather than the familiar ones Inej had dreamt of. She had climbed up the nearest pipe, and sighed happily as she stood on the building. The view, had not much changed. A few key buildings had been demolished, and made Inej smile seeing that the Menagerie just so happened to be one of them. She worked her way by rooftop towards the wealthier districts, and then descended to the street. She didn't need to sneak anywhere.

She walked to the front door, and knocked softly on it. A maid had come to answer it, and a big smile came to her face, she urgently rushed Inej inside, crying much louder than Inej liked "Miss Ghafa has returned to Ketterdam!" There was a rush of footsteps, and then Jesper bolted down the stairs fast enough to trip multiple times, and collided into Inej as he picked her up and squeezed the life out of her. "You're here!" Inej's heart sank, she had stayed away too long. Jesper looked older, his dark skin seemed rich and his grin had a healthy glow. His eyes had crow's feet already, from grinning too much it would seem.

"Jesper, let her breathe, geez." Wylan's soft face caused Inej to smile again. His voice was older, a little lower, but still sweet. Gentle and patient, his face held a more controlled smile. As soon as Jesper let her go, Wylan pulled her into a much more relaxed hug. "It's good to see you again, Inej."

"I've missed you guys," Inej said, feeling a little moisture in her eyes, and pain behind her eyes as she stopped herself from crying. This was her family, how had she stayed away for so long? Wylan's hold was tight and familiar. Relieved. Inej realized as he let her go. "We missed you too." Wylan said softly, then nodded to the kitchen. "Let's get something to eat and drink, and you can tell us about the sea?"

"I will, I promise but... I need to ask." Jesper nodded, already understanding what was coming, Wylan looked like he did too, and his light eyes watched her patiently. As if he knew she had to say it outloud. "How.. Have you guys seen Kaz recently?" A million more questions filtered through Inej's mind. How is he?  Is he okay? Are the Dregs doing well? What's the latest scheme?