Never sick of you

Request by @calder1776 , thank you so much for not only this request but your support. (Yay, a new update!)

Kaz Brekker might have been, a man of indescribable genius, with creative adaptability, and a tongue for dry wit. But he was also an idiot.

In Inej's mind, that could not be clearer. As he insisted multiple times "I'm fine." Through so many of his coughing fits in which Inej was sure he would start spitting up blood, and was always thankful when he didn't.
"Unlike your cronies, I'm not so easily fooled. You're sick, and in a very bad condition at that." Kaz growled from where he was on the bed. Inej lightly replaced the damp rag on his head for a colder one, he flinched slightly. His fever was taking a while to come down.

"Really Inej," his voice sounded painful, the rasp turning into a croaky hoarseness, and he winced when he spoke.
"Hush Kaz. It's offensive to even try to sell it. Just rest." He shivered under the pile of blankets Inej had buried him under. He wanted to argue, but found he was too tired
"Stay?"
"I'm not going anywhere." Kaz nodded, happy with those words. He curled up, clearly in pain but he soon fell asleep. Inej moved around his room, working to clear away old dishes, and move his work elsewhere so the room was more comfortable.
She picked up the tonics that the Medic had prescribed, portioning them out and placing them on his nightstand. She rang for a Dreg to bring up some food and water. The bed shifted and Inej perked her head into the side room, relaxing when she saw he'd just rolled over in his sleep.

Inej walked by him to blow out the candle when his hand snatched her arm, just below her elbow.
"Kaz?" Inej whispered, his grip was a bit too tight. When she looked down at him, his eyes were blown wide. Fear.
"Nej... I am... I'm dying, aren't I?"
"No... no, it's just a fever. You'll be ok."
"The plague... back again."
"Plague, Kaz?"
"The Queens Lady... she'll take me... I won't be able to escape.. again."
"Kaz?"
"...Are you a saint?" Inej felt her lips twitch into a small smile. ".. come to smite me?" She huffs, shaking her head and falls to her knees beside him.
"No Kaz, rest, I'm going to keep you safe."
His eyelids slid closed.
"Ok... Wraith."

His breathing shallowed, and he fell asleep. Inej gently ran her hands over his forehead and the sweat-soaked strands of his hair. The damp towel over his forehead kept her skin from meeting his.
A soft knock sounded, and Inej looked to see Wylan and Jesper peer through the door, Nina at their side.

"Hey, we brought you both some food." Nina said, stepping into the room. She was holding two steaming plates in her hands.
"He just fell asleep." Inej says quietly, and removes her hand from his head, standing and pulling her arm from his loose grip.
"We can talk in his office." Inej says, walking past them and gently closing the door to Kaz's room. Leaving it cracked open.

"How is he?"
"Could be better. His fever is taking some time breaking."
"But it is breaking?"
"Yes."
"That's good." Jesper says in honest relief, Inej reached for a plate of food and gladly dug in, adding in quietly "had Kaz taken care of it instead of trying to work through it I doubt it would be this bad."
"Inej... well, we're worried about you too."
Inej pauses, looking up at them. Their faces are serious, grim.
"What do you mean?"
"When's the last time you slept?" Nina asked softly. Inej scowled but Wylan spoke before she could protest.
"You're worried about Kaz. We all are, but you need to take care of yourself rather then just him."
"I'm not!" Inej huffed, keeping her voice low.

"Inej, let someone else look after him for a little."
"He asked me to stay... right now he's just, vulnerable."
"Inej, you cant spend your whole week here."
"Nina... I"
A muffled scream erupted from the darkened room, and Inej was darting into it within a second of the sound. She burst the door open, and stopped because Kaz was still asleep, but his skin was slick with a sheen of sweat, he was breathing fast and his features were contorted in pain.
"Kaz... Kaz, you're okay. Shhh... Kaz, wake up."
"Ghezen."
"You guys should go,"
"But..."
"It'll only make it worse for him the more people he realizes see him like this."