Elevation

Kaz and Inej usually saw eye to eye, but when it came to Kaz planning on doing something that would put him in harms way, well... then they didn't.

"Kaz, this is crazy! There is no way this is going to work out."
"I'm not exactly looking forward to this either, you know," Kaz growled out, tightening his grip on his pen. "But I have to get the information, and that means being inside. They won't very well let me in."
"What, so you are going to let the Stadwatch catch you? What if you are tortured? What if you can't get out in time? You still have a bounty on your head!"
"Inej... you just got back from your journey. It's late, we can discuss this later."
"I want to discuss it now because it's a terrible idea!"
"What do you want me to do Inej? Until I get that information the Dregs are as good as dead."
"Figure out a different way to do it!"

Kaz stood up and made his way around the desk so he stood before Inej, forcing her to look up to meet his eyes. "There isn't a different way to do it, Wraith." He snarls, his eyes reflecting the faint lamplight. "Yes, there is! You just refuse to see it."
"I am not going to stop doing my job simply because it is dangerous. We both put our lives on the line."
"That doesn't mean that you absolutely have to!" Inej growled, "it's an unnecessary risk!"
"It's always been an unnecessary risk, one I can't stop now simply because things have changed between us.."
"Because we're together? saints, you can't even say it!"
Kaz brought a hand to rub at his temples, his jaw ticked as his teeth ground together.
"Inej. There isn't another way, it'll turn out just fine." Inej huffs.
"That is an empty promise and we both know it."
"What do you want from me Inej!"
"I want you to Not do this!"
"I can't give you everything you want."

Inej growled, turned on her heel, and silently walked out the door. Kaz stiffened, his mind stilling as confusion and panic began to bubble up. What was she doing? Was she going to come back? Was she leaving him, simple as that? Kaz's heart fell sharply, and he took a step forward before pausing as Inej came back into the room, carrying a wooden crate. She dropped it on the ground so the opening was in the floor, then stepped onto it, and glared down at him.

"You are crazy to think I'm just going to let you go through with this. I know it worked for the ice court, but you are going in alone on this!"
Kaz was having a hard time breathing, his relief was so great that she was still here, his stubborn wraith... but then there was the fact that Inej had left... to get a box to stand on, so she'd be taller then him.
Inej watched in confusion as Kaz placed a gloved hand to cover his mouth, his eyes turning down from Inej as his breath caught in little puffs. He started shaking.
Inej went down from the crate, worried. "Kaz?" He refused to look at her, Inej pulled away his hand only to see a small smile and to realize that he was laughing, quiet, uncontainable laughter. His snickering was light and easier to hear now that his hand was away.

"Kaz? What are you..." he wheezed, his laughing only getting louder. Inej couldn't help but smile, his laughter a rare, welcome sound. "Are you laughing at me?" He shook his head, but Inej didn't buy that. She gently led him to the bed, pushing him to sit down. He gathered his breathing, wiping slight moisture from his eyes.
Inej sighs, the last thing she wanted to do was bring up the argument again.
"Don't go, Kaz..." she says softly, looking into his eyes. He nods. "Alright..." Inej released a breath, pleased to hear his surrender from the threatening idea.