Partially drowned cat

Kaz hated water. Not in a super obsessive way, but he had certain set of things that set him off. Water, can not reach his torso or go above his head, it cannot be salt water, and he absolutely should never be touched immediately after or during his time in either such situations.

And this broke all of those rules. Kaz thought wistfully as salt water splashed at his eyes and washed around his shoulders, dragging him down like a corpse. What could go wrong when you battle a crew full of pirate slavers on a small ship and were a cripple? He would laugh at how idiotic Inej had made him if he wasn't in hearing range and getting salt in his water would make it worse. Kaz's body wanted to shut down, but he couldn't. Swim. He hissed at himself, digging into the water and squinting. Sure, it wasn't the first time he was knocked into the ocean or a water that broke his rules. Hell,  he lived in a canal riddled city and swam with his dead brother from the ocean. But, none the less, it nearly always sent him into a panic.

He gasped out of surprise when his hand met wood. Finally. Kaz thought as he dug his hand into the side of the Wraith. He could hear a murmuring conversation above him. Clearly the fight had ended, he could tell by the bodies he had to push away in the water. He shook and tried to keep himself calm. Kaz was smart enough to conserve his strength before pulling himself up and starting his climb, knowing he would be carrying plenty of water with him in his suit and clothes. "It will be nice to get together again! And we can help Inej fight those slavers. You won't even have to get wet!" Kaz growled under his breath, trying to calm down. It was the words Jesper and Nina had used to persuade him to go with Inej and them for a six month trip. Kaz had the time, and even though Inej truly wanted him there, and he saw disappointment, he simply didn't belong on open water. And this was a perfect example. Kaz steadied his shaking gloves, counting to 2 he pulled himself up dragging in a shaky breath as he found footholds and slowly began the grueling up cliff climb. "Have any of you seen Kaz?" He heard Inej call. Really? Just now you notice I'm gone? Kaz grabbed onto the ledge and pushed himself over the railing and onto the deck, nearly collapsing. "I hate the ocean...." he spat, trying to keep the thought of corpses away as Inej drew closer, he winced.

Jesper snickered and Kaz threw him a glare. "How long ago?" Inej asked calmly, he looked at her and replied in a calmer fashion. "I'm use to having to only worry about one side of the fighting field being able to fall into. They got me in a corner." He hissed, limping heavily over to his precious cane. "Not that long ago. I had about 7 on me." He told them, one of Inej's crew members handed Kaz a rough towel in which he used to dry his hair to the best of his ability, only messing it into a damp and wild style. "You look like a drowned cat." Nina snickered. "I feel like one." He spoke sharply, Inej came over and was whispering softly. "I'm fine Wraith. They didn't wound me in any way... I just.." his hands shook hard under their protective black leather. Inej nodded, wrapping her hand around his. "Go change Kaz, it's going to be okay... spend some time alone if you need." she whispered, Kaz abruptly turned and left.

As he was alone in the dark, it took less time than expected to relax into the hammock of a personal little cellar in which he was given that was used as a room, and if he could say no to Nina and Jesper he wouldn't. Because no matter what his PTSD put him through, Inej was worth fighting through the pain. She wanted to know, wanted to hear and listen and help him. She wanted him.... it was a flash of a concept and yet made him grin and shake his head. A foolish notion but one he so dearly pleasured. Another part of him told him she could do far better, and yet, Kaz was selfish and he was quite okay with that as long as it ended in him being able to make Inej happy. Even if it meant getting dunked in a ocean of corpses and bad yesterdays, and a week of night terrors. It was still worth it.