The Ship Sails

Kaz stood quietly apart as if pinned to the shadows by his own blades... the ones he's welded wickedly without any lost sleep... the ones he made shallow cuts into his friends to keep them from crowding his corner. Kaz knew... Kaz knew that Inej was coming back, he knew she would be different, knew she would go to Wylans like he asked. Jesper's soft voice still echoed around in his head. "I need you to stay away from her Kaz... Nina can't afford to lose one of her last lifelines and well... death follows you around like a stray cat you fed." And the most damning thing was that he was right. More than he knew. So Kaz agreed not to come to the party he was requested to join by Wylan. He slowly shut himself off. But here he was in control.

In his office and on the streets, no one cared. And yet he was respected and they listened to him. And if he burned the heartache away with a couple drinks a week who the hell cared? As long as the taxes were done and Dirtyhands was on the streets people shut up and went on with their business. Maybe that's why he liked the Barrel politics in the first place... but he was stuck here anyway.

Running his fingers through his hair he blew out a breath. The lamp was running low, stretching and cracking his back Kaz stood, his leg sending an aching protest that left him gritting his teeth. The weekly fights to keep his brain distracted did a number, but it did improve reflex and ability. Her silence wafted in the window like a warm breeze on a cold night. Initially welcome but soon to be bitter. "Wraith." Kaz rasped, not turning when he addressed her.
"You weren't there. Wylan said he invited you." Kaz hummed, nodding. "Why."
"Work." Inej glared at his back but at this point maybe it was better to cut the strands of his heart tethered to hers. To let it sink to the bottom and drown in depths of unexplored freezing pressure.

"Work?- what's really going on? Some kind of inner gang- is it Rollins?"
"No. It's not, and there's no point in you guessing." Jesper wanted Inej out of Dreg business so that she was safe from Kaz and his kind. Free from their petty wars like Jes now was, freed and happy. "Then tell me." She has rounded around him, her eyes shone concern and that concern darkened when she saw his face.

"Kaz- when's the last time you slept." Kaz winced, small flashes of nightmares coming back to him. "Last night." His voice and face was a mask of perfect indifference. Too perfect for Inej who was still just as sharp as ever.
"What's going on?" She reached toward him and before he could stop himself he leaned into the hand she laid on his cheek, the warmth shocking him. Thinking better of what he was doing he grabbed her hand away with a soft sigh, running his leather clad fingers over hers, she looked pointedly at them. "Kaz?" She looked back up at him and he knew he could never be a good man if he remained a selfish one.

"We can't- continue this." He said very discretely, Inej's gaze immediately froze over, confusion and slowly pain bloomed upon the expanses of her eyes, Kaz had to pull away, ashamed he wasn't even able to meet her gaze as he broke her away, and chopped the roots holding them together.

"Why? Kaz- I just got back." Inej took a step towards him and Kaz flinched, all he wanted to do was hold her and promise to never let her go... he wanted to hold her to him, to swear himself to her... all he could say was
"It's better for both of us. I can't heal, Wraith. It's... safer."

"Safer from what! Don't do this to me Kaz... please"

"Inej." Was all he could force out as his jaw clenched. She shook her head and growled.
"No! Okay... you don't get to decide what is safe."

"It's bigger than us, don't you see that?" Kaz snapped, tired and he just wanted this conversation to be over. He knew how to do it, just like he used to, the coldest brutality, Dirtyhands, would chase her away. But he couldn't muster up the will to do it.

"No Kaz, all I see right now is your trying to fix something there is nothing wrong with! We need each other Kaz, that fact hasn't changed."
"It has. Nina needs you more than I do, now." Kaz growled, Inej narrowed her eyes.

"Is that why you care what's safe suddenly? Why you think this relationship is unsafe, that your going to put me in harms way?"
"It's not suddenly Inej, it's always been that way."
"Kaz, saints, listen to yourself! I was just hunting slavers for three months, that isn't exactly a walk through a spring meadow! Are you going to try and stop me from that too for Nina's sake?"
"What? No! I just... ugh." Kaz growled in frustration, leaning against the desk.

It took Inej a minute in the quiet of Kaz's attic room atmosphere, for it to click. She turned on him with renewed fire.
"Who told you to stay away?"
"What the hell are you talking about?" Kaz accused, but Inej was not going to be thrown off her trail.
"That thought, might have been a doubt of yours, but this plan sure isn't yours, because you'd use your darkest parts against me if it was your plan. Your not though, in fact, your barely putting any effort into this breakup! Which means you don't really agree, so tell me Kaz, who set you up to this."
Kaz looked at his floor, leaning farther on the palms of his hands, resting on his desk. Inej's hand tugged at his sleeve, and he swallowed slowly.

"I- they are right Inej." Kaz sighed, shoulders loosening.
"I don't deserve you, and more than likely, no matter the precautions and passions, these things crash and burn."
"Kaz." Her hand slid up his clothed arm to rest at his shoulder, he looked up at her, and Inej wanted to hug the idiot before her till he could feel nothing but warmth.
"You don't get deservingness, you earn it." She watched him huff at the familiar words spoken between them, she leaned closer in that moment.
"You have earned my heart, in all the ways I can think of and then some. We are not perfect Kaz, but we grow... we get better, when we're together. I'm not giving this up, not for anyone, selfish as it is. Do you hear me?"

He nods slowly and Inej smiles at him.
"I hate possessive words, but... we are each other's. Not to own, nor to take responsibility of. But to cherish, to learn with one another. We belong together, Kaz, right here." Her forehead gently touched his, he closed his eyes.. his breathing was shallow but after a minute evened out.
"Who did it?"
"They..."
"Kaz." Inej lightly ran her hand down his back, pressing her hands into a knotted muscle, waiting for his answer she began to work it away.
"Jesper." He at last relented with a sigh, Inej nods.
"He never does think things through, I just can't believe you agreed!"
"I... guess I'd rather lose you on my own terms. Than anyone else's."
"Your not losing me." Inej felt his arms snake around her, pulling her close. He buried his face into the crux of her neck as she found herself perched on top of him, as he sat on his desk.

"Forgive me, I'll never try that again." His breath tickled her neck, as he murmured the words onto her soft skin.
"Later, I'll forgive when you've proven to still have a mind of your own, and maybe bought me some apology waffles."
"Inej" his tone is exasperated, and Inej laughs at him.

"Come on love." Inej kissed his cheek, then jumped off his lap, and walked silently across the room. Kaz followed after a moment to collect his thoughts and cane.
"Where are we going?"
"First to Wylan's, so I can yell at Jesper. Then, we are going to my room so we each can have a propers night sleep, and you can learn what a real mattress feels like."
He rolled his eyes, clasping his bare hand in hers, he felt a shred of panic, a sickness that started to make him nauseated, she waited as he replaced the leather, but after it was back in place she still laced their hands.
The King and Queen of the Barrel has gone to see their Court.

Just a real quick finish of a draft I wrote a while back. Sorry if it's crap, I'll fix it later. I'm exhausted.