Chapter 18: Welcome to Wonderland

"What is this?"

Their shoes clicked against the cement floors of the old factory. Wary movements came to a slow stop when they stumbled upon a present box. They didn't know what to do. It was fishy. This building had been unused for a while now, the business that had been run within had gone broke and the place was simply left alone after everything closed. Some machinery was still lying around, but majority of what was present consisted of dust and debris, so why would there be a present box of all things? 

"Should we open it?"

"And then find out it was a bomb and we all die? Yeah, sure, why don't you open it Zhan?"

"Oh, you're such the genius aren't you, Wang? By all means, go ahead and figure something else out."

"No one touches the box unless I say so!" Hissed Jimin, glaring at the two embarrassed men. He rolled his eyes before turning to stare at the group, "Does anyone have an ability that's similar to x-ray or clairvoyance?"

Maybe it was because Jimin was intimidating at the moment, but no one spoke up. Then again, it could just be that no one had an ability like that. There have been no clear boundaries when it comes to who develops what ability in the different supernatural species; quite a few do have some passed-down abilities, or sometimes a combination of their parent's, but they can also develop something unrelated to those. 

Jimin asked again, searching the crowd, "No one?"

His eyes searched the group, seeing them all fidget about before a shy hand rose from above the crowd. Not long after, an equally nervous voice fought its way out of the wall of bodies.

"Um.. I-I do, Sir."

Jimin smiled, "Great, come up here. What's your name and how do we make it work?"

The person weaved their way through the crowd, reaching the front rather quickly. They bowed to Jimin who bowed back before straightening up, the nervousness obvious in their sweat decorated forehead. It was a girl. A little on the short side, amber eyes, and short black hair pulled into a low ponytail. He's never seen her before, so she's probably in Hoseok and Namjoon's division. He can't tell what she is just by looking at her, but at this point, it doesn't matter.

"My name is Suzu Mikami, Sir. Um, all I have to do is touch the item, Sir, but they have to be solid in order for me to see them. I can't see gas, and liquids are an on-and-off kind of identification."

"Mikami...? Ah! The transfer, right? Good to have you here, don't fret about the draw backs, every ability has a flaw," reassured the man, motioning to the strange item with a smile. "Go on then."

Everyone looked around in awe at their interaction, specifically Jimin's form of speaking. It was formal, but gentle. He maintained his position, but it wasn't overbearing or constantly being squeezed into his words or actions; he wasn't as scary as they thought he was. Seemingly also shocked, the transfer stepped up slowly, reaching out a stiff hand to the present box while everyone watched with their breaths halted. They waited for something, anything, and when a small breath of relief left Suzu's lips, everyone else copied it.

"It's nothing. From what I can see, the box is empty. Either the substance is a gas or it's really just empty."

"Hm... Great, thanks Suzu. Yoongi, punch some holes into it, will you?"

"Understood."

Suzu fell back into the group and Yoongi stepped up, cocked gun aimed at the carton dressed in ribbons. His finger wasted no time in pulling the trigger, letting a full round of bullets rip through it. When he removed the empty case, there was a shift in the air. It was strange. Cold. Uneasy. All their hairs stood on their ends.