Chapter 32: Early Mornings and Train Rides

"Tae-Tae, let's go play!"

Two small bodies dragged him outside. He followed along, looking offended when one of them darted their hand out, yelling out, "Tag, you're it!" 

They instantly started running away from him with huge smiles adorning their faces as he gave chase. 

It took him by surprise when things started flowing out so easily. When things started coming back to him so easily without any pain.

"I'm already a big boy Hyung, don't baby me~" A pout and small stomp made everyone in the room burst into laughter as the small boy removed his older brother's hand from his head. He smiled down at the boy, receiving a forced frown in return.

For once, he could say he recognized these people. 

"Oppa~ Junpei is being a bully!" The small little girl complained, hugging her brother's leg as the supposed bully defended himself.

"Am not! She started it."

The arguments he broke up and the laughs he got out of them. 

A giggle was heard as the little girl played with her big brother's hair; glad someone was able to accompany her in her game of dress-up.

"Oppa's pretty!"

The older smiled, pinching her cheeks, "Not as pretty as you. You're beautiful, Yuri!"

The games he'd agree to and the things he was, unfairly, convinced to do.

The first grader walked proudly into his Hyung's room, showing off the sheet of paper and gloating about his score, "Hyung, look, I got a perfect score! Bet I did better than you did when you were my age."

The one-sided competitions and the praise they'd receive for their hard work.

"Tae, lookie, Yuri got a new dress!"

The boy nodded, smiling down at the little girl, finding her enthusiasm adorable.

"Kids! Dinner's ready," their mother called from the bottom of the stairs. "Dad will be here soon, he said he has presents for us!"

"Coming," they'd all respond and race down to the table to see their mother smiling and shaking her head at their antics just as their dad opened their house door, arms open and already waiting for them all to run at him like usual. 

How long has it been since he remembered things so clearly?

Jungkook wasn't an idiot, and he was most certainly not blind. He noticed the shift in the younger's mood again and instantly took back the question, not wanting to pressure the boy into answering something he felt uncomfortable about. Taehyung looked out of it, staring blankly at the floor. 

Maybe he jumped the gun by asking about his family, curiosity isn't always good Jungkook.

"You don't have to tell me, never mind, I was being insensitive."

Taehyung snapped back into reality, pushing the memories away and trying to play the strange feeling in his stomach off with a smile.

"Jungkook-ssi, i-it's fine. I don't mind. M-My family, right? What ab-about them?"

"... Are you sure? You really don't have to tell me about them, I know it must be hard," Jungkook persisted, only receiving a shake of the head from the other who now had a determined look on his face despite shaking like a leaf. It was close to impossible to change Taehyung's mind, so Jungkook stopped trying to convince the younger and simply listened.