Chapter 21: Overconfident

It shattered. The arrow didn't make it. 

He giggled, cackled, howled, and chortled as he mocked them. The ice at his legs shattered and the restraints around his limbs ripped apart as the arrow that was supposed to pierce his core fell at his feet, the arrowhead stuck to a fragment of glass. He shielded his core, and they hadn't noticed.

"Oh, for fucks sake, you've got to be kidding me right now," mumbled Jungkook, glaring at the other two who couldn't help but sigh in frustration at their failed plan.

Mad Hatter dusted himself off, fixing his hat as a shadow overcame his face and all they could see were his glowing eyes and sinister smirk as he asked, "Now, shall we begin the main course?"

The wind picked up the dirt, dragging it over the rails and throwing it at the people patiently waiting for any sign of the three missing men. They were beginning to grow anxious as time ticked by.

"Do you think they're okay?"

"They've been in there for a while now..."

"Give them time."

"I heard a big crash, should we go check?"

"No. All we can do is wait."

The murmurs and whispers of concern continued as they all looked to the abandoned concrete building. The only ones who kept quiet were Namjoon, Hoseok and Taehyung, all for different reasons but it didn't stop them from sharing the same anxiety.

"Hy-Hyung... Something fee-feels wrong," the small boy whispered, only receiving a hum from both in return. He didn't know what those hums meant. Were they agreeing with him? Had they even heard him? Did they only respond so he would be quiet?

"I want you all to return to headquarters," Hoseok ordered, suddenly standing before the worried group.

"What!?"

"No way!"

"Hoseok-ssi, please, you have to let us wait for them too!"

They argued pleadingly, but that did nothing to shake Hoseok's resolve. He won't take any chances. They should know that as much as anyone.

"This is an order, everyone but Namjoon and Taehyung can leave. Inform those at the main building of what's happened and do what you can to reinforce our security and the security of South Korea," he implored.

Namjoon helped convince everyone to leave them there, letting Taehyung inch closer to Hoseok. Reluctantly, car after car pulled out of the dirt road and onto the highway, leaving only one van behind. A moment of tensed silence enveloped the three, neither of them speaking up despite their surroundings feeling suffocating. What were they supposed to say? What were they supposed to do?

"Are you fools just going to stand out here?"

They jumped at the unexpected insult and turned to look at the perpetrator.

"Taehyung?" Hoseok questioned unsurely.

"It's not Taehyung," Namjoon countered, "It's the Spirit."

"It seems some of you can tell us apart," it grumbled with a tilt of his head, adding, "I see you met Weylin."

Hoseok's brows furrowed, a questioning noise filtering through his chest. Taehyung tried not to roll his eyes, changing his words, "Mad Hatter, but I'm guessing you both got babysitting duty."

The men avoided his eyes. He snickered, earning an unamused glare from Hoseok. The glare was brushed off like a speck of dust on someone's shoulder as he proceeded, unbothered, "Those three are in trouble, that man is not easy to defeat."