Chapter 60: Still with You

Jin had just finished sending in the new files for some of the ward's new patients when there was a knock on his door. Without thinking much about it, he gave them permission to enter, only looking up once the door had clicked closed again. His hands halted their typing, eyebrows hiding under his fringe.

"Jungkook?"

"Jin-Hyung."

The younger man took a seat directly in front of Jin's desk, elbows coming to rest on top of some of the papers laying around the surface. Jin noticed his seriousness and closed his laptop, turning his full attention to the man.

"What's wrong? Your shift doesn't start until later today, shouldn't you be at home?"

"There are things we need to talk about, Jin-Hyung. I didn't think I'd have to come ask for your help, but I really don't know how to deal with everything."

Jin stared at him in confusion, a small frown on his lips as he asked, "What'd you mean? Are you sick? Do you feel bad?"

Jungkook shook his head, "It's Taehyung."

The doctor grew more worried, trying to understand what exactly Jungkook was trying to say. His words were taking a while to form, that much was obvious to Jungkook, which is why he jumped right in.

"What exactly does Taehyung have, Jin-Hyung? I know it's trauma, that much is obvious, but there's more to it, right? Yesterday, he held his breath unconsciously for minutes, he panicked so much he wasn't able to see or hear me, I don't even know why! And when I tried to leave, he clung to me and begged me to stay with the promise of behaving; I need to know what's wrong with him. You can't keep hiding his issues from me, Jin-Hyung."

Jungkook's gaze was as piercing as ever, a chill covering the room. Jin could feel his aura like a pressure weighing on his shoulders. If it were anyone else, they would have run away or quickly given in, but Jin isn't a stranger to these types of situations. He breathed calmly, leveling Jungkook with a gaze that seemed dangerously unperturbed. His voice was equally serene.

"If I tell you, will you distance yourself from him?"

Jungkook sputtered, "What? No!"

"Are you sure?" He pushed, eyes never leaving Jungkook's own, "Once you find out everything, you won't abandon him because everything will be too much? You won't see him as a burden?"

"Absolutely not," responded the younger man, no wavering in his voice. He knows what he's singing up for, he knew the second he decided to accept his feelings towards the blond. For Taehyung, he's willing to go through anything and everything. He will never be a burden to him. Taehyung deserves his full devotion and deserves to be cared for and nurtured. Jungkook isn't such a shallow person, he of all people knows what it's like to feel abandoned by everyone and he would never want Taehyung to feel something like that. 

"I have zero plans on abandoning Taehyung. As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to stay by his side for longer than anyone else has."

Jin's lips cracked into a satisfied grin, air suddenly going warm, "Okay, I'll tell you then."

Jungkook slumped in relief, glaring at the man after complaining about the test he was put through. Jin settled for patting his arm, not yet sure whether or not Jungkook would be okay with more familiar touches. One of the guys had tried hugging him during training after they had successfully synced up their movements and his response was to freeze and proceed to push them away while cussing them out. Of course, after that event, the guys settled for fist bumping or high fiving instead of celebratory hugs. 

Jungkook sighed, staring at Jin questioningly, "There's more to him than just simple trauma isn't there? It's way bigger, isn't it?"

Jin nodded, "Trauma is just the superficial issue here. Anyone can experience trauma, it's not uncommon. What sets them apart are the symptoms that follow after the trauma. In Taehyung's case, he has dissociative amnesia and PTSD, though it's been under control for some time now, it still affects his daily life. He can't recall the disaster or anything prior to that, even more if those memories are linked to his family. Usually the amnesia only lasts months, but his has yet to be solved. I have strong reason to believe that Vil is the reason behind the lack of memory recovery. There are times when Taehyung suddenly remembers things, sometimes it's due to his surroundings, other times it's in his dreams, but Vil tends to block them away as soon as he can."