Chapter 19

After Shadow had talked things through with Stark and Banner, they all agreed to let her stay the night to get proper sleep so she could go with Barton the next morning to check on her apartment. Shadow had slept almost peacefully. She didn't have a nightmare like she normally did...this dream was different. She could see flashes of Loki. She was feeling pain and loss. She cried the entire night because it felt like he had left her. She wasn't even sure that he was her soulmate, but she just knew that someone wasn't here anymore, and her mark was in constant pain, along with her heart.

    Shadow slowly got up from the bed she slept in and picked up a pair of clothes she had found for the day. She stepped in the huge shower and washed off all the events from the attack and everything else that had been bothering her. She wished the water could wash away her hurt, but she knew better than to think like that. After she dried off, she slowly stepped into clean leggings and an oversized black hoodie.

    She really didn't feel like doing anything with her hair, so she let it hang and air dry

    She really didn't feel like doing anything with her hair, so she let it hang and air dry. Shadow put all her things into her bag and stepped out of the room. She slowly moved down the hallway towards the kitchen/living area. Once she made it there, she saw Mr. Stark, Banner, and Barton all sitting around the table.

    "Hello there sleepy head. We made breakfast...well Barton did. Simple eggs and bacon. Go ahead grab a plate." Mr. Stark's voice was loud and to excited this morning. Shadow didn't feel like eating, she just wanted to go check on her place. Shadow walked slowly to the counter and just picked up a small piece of bacon. She nibbled on it while pouring her some orange juice. When she finished gulping down the contents of the glass, she walked back over to her bag, picked it up and walked towards the elevator. Barton slowly got the hint and finished scarfing his food, mumbling for the girl to wait for him. Just as the elevator was about to close, he jumped in.

    "You're off in a hurry. You sure you don't want anymore food?" Barton looked at her questionably. He knew she was more on the malnourished side. He was worried about how she was acting since finding Loki was possibly her soulmate. If she was a slight wreck before meeting him, now that she has and they haven't seen each other, it could really bring her into a worse spiral.

    Shadow stayed silent, not really wanting to be around people but still shook her head. She didn't want to be rude to Barton, she just wanted to go curl into a ball. Once they made it down to the garage, Barton grabbed her bag and put in the trunk of his car. He opened up the passenger side for her and then hopped into the drivers seat. He turned on the car and then looked at Shadow.

    "Alright...where to?" Shadow told him her address and it felt like they took twice as long to get there. The streets were being repaired but everything wasn't fully back to normal yet. When they pulled up in front of her building, Shadow saw a lot of construction men going in and out of the building. She rushed out of the car to find out what was going on.

    "Excuse me? Can you tell me what's going on in this building?" Shadow asked politely to the older gentleman by the front entrance. The man turned to her and gave the girl a small smile.