Chapter 75

Shadow slammed on the desk with a loud grunt, "Steve! I'm not sure what I'm missing! Why can I not locate him?!" She stomped around the lab, her emotions beginning to run wild. Steve and Clint were tense watching the witch on the verge of a break down. Her eyes were constantly glowing, an eerie tell tell sign not to piss her off.

"Shadow, from what I understand from Vision, it seems you tend to link with him when you are more relaxed." He immediately regretted those words when the fiery witch turned on her heel and sparks danced around her eyes.

"How can you ask me to be relaxed when my mate is missing!?" Her voice roared throughout the Compound along with a clap of thunder. The other teammates slowly began to make their way to the lab, hoping they could ease Shadow's worries.

Vision was always hovering close to Shadow. He was the only one who could bring her out of her connections when she would somehow reconnect with Bucky. Wanda and Vision were also growing closer and they teamed up to help the witch in any way they could. Wanda would use her powers to control the chaotic nature of Shadow's magic when the white haired witch lost control. Thankfully, no one had been hurt, but a few things had been broken.

Clint approached Shadow cautiously, taking in her heavy breathing and her wild eyes. He put his hands in the air to show that he meant no harm and slowly began to step towards her. The sparks continued to dance around her eyes and now her fingertips. As he got closer, she hesitantly stepped back.

"Clint, no."

He gave a smile and continued, "I'm not afraid of you. You will not hurt me. I just want to help you."

Sam, Natasha, Pietro, and Tony all stood watch from the doorway. Shadow struggled to catch her breath, but inevitably let Clint close the distance. Clint reached slowly for her hands, maintaining eye contact with her to assure her nothing was going to happen. The minute they touched hands he jumped a bit, then chuckled as he had only been shocked.

"See. This old man can still handle a bit of a jolt here and there." He smiled wider at her and watched how her powers began to move below the surface, her glowing white eyes now the only thing still present. "I know that this is hard for you. We all do. But you are strong. You are doing more than we even require of you and you have made progress all on your own. I'm just here to let you know, that it's okay to take a step back and to just breathe."

Shadow processed his words, contemplating exactly what he meant. "Clint, I have to find him. I can't let anything happen to him or...I don't know what I'd do with myself." She whispered painfully, her eyes shimmering with the warning of sorrow.

"I know," Clint whispered back. They stared into each others eyes for a minute before he spoke again. "I have to go back to the kids, but when they leave to go to Lagos, I need you to take care of yourself and believe. Just like Loki and Thor's mother always tells you, you only have to believe in yourself."

He pulled her down into a hug, wrapping his arms around her neck. Shadow squeezed firmly, taking in a deep breath as Clint's words resonated with her. She knew she would be able find him eventually. She couldn't lose sight of the people in front of her. They were her family too and they would help her find Bucky no matter what the costs.

Her eyes were clenched shut, a small grin escaped which made the others relax. "Thank you." When she pulled away, she clutched the golden rose to her chest. It had become a form of comfort for her since Loki had left.

Clint said his goodbyes, promising to return soon. He made plenty of jokes about his 'retirement' and threatened anyone who dared to cut it short. Once he was gone, the team needed to go back to discussing the trip to Lagos. Shadow sat down in her comfortable office chair, staring at the reflections across the roses surface, twirling it between her fingers.