Chapter 40

Shadow was on edge. She was trying to stay focused on the task at hand, but something was worrying her. She looked towards Loki as he and Thor approached the control panels. Thor started pressing random spots on the console, causing noises to arise around them.

"I thought you said you knew how to fly this thing?" Loki muttered to his brother.

"I said...How hard could it be?"

Shadow and Jane turned towards Volstagg, hearing the sounds of guards rushing towards them. Jane looked over to Shadow, worry evident in her eyes. Shadow stood strong, her golden eyes trained on the guards.

"Well...whatever you're doing brother, I suggest you do it faster." Loki's voice was calm but Thor was working frantically to find the right buttons.

"Shut up, Loki."

Shadow's frustration and anticipation of what was going to happen was not going to allow these two boys to fight like children. "I suggest you both stop bickering and figure out how to get this thing moving. I would prefer not to light Asgardian guards on fire."

Loki glanced back at his mate, smirking towards the back of her head. He could feel how tense she was but could also sense her surfaced powers.

Relax darling.

Loki, I do not wish that my loved ones get hurt. Please...focus. I want us all home in one piece, especially you.

Shadow continued to watch as Volstagg took out every guard one by one. Thor continued to press every other button.

"You must have missed something."

Thor grunted. "No I didn't. I'm pressing every button on this thing."

Loki tried to keep his voice calm, only wanting to help Thor. "No, don't hit it. Just press it gently."

Thor's voice began to rise, "I'm pressing it gently, it's not working!"

Shadow turned towards the two men, marching over to their sides. "Boys! What did I say about bickering!" Shadow spotted a different light pattern on the console and hit it, causing the ship to start up around them. She crossed her arms around her chest and scowled at the two grown children. "You both are really testing my patience."

Loki gave a teasing smile and shrugged his shoulders. "Sorry."

Thor smiled brightly, taking in all maps and controls of the ship. "Ah ha!"

Thor took over the controls, starting the ships thrusters. As he turned the ship to face the right direction, he took out several columns within the throne room. The ship shook and Shadow lost her balance. She reached out for something to stop her fall and was grabbed by Loki. He steadied her balance, staring into her glowing eyes, making sure she was alright. He sighed at his brother.

"I think you missed a column."

"Shut up."

They shot out of the throne room, dodging towers and buildings around Asgard. Thor's driving was very shaky, jerking around Shadow and Jane. Loki was getting frustrated, wanting to take over so the journey would be easier.

"Look, why don't you let me take over? I'm clearly the better pilot."

"Is that right? Well, out of the two of us, which one can actually fly?"

Shadow scoffed. "I can...not either of you, you idiot."

Jane suddenly collapsed in front of the group. Shadow rushed over to her. She knew she couldn't heal Jane because the Aether rejected her energy magic.