Chapter 70

"Shadow have you seen anything?" Tony's voice spread through the coms.

As the witch floated through the looming darkness of the streets, she hadn't picked up anything on Ultron's whereabouts.

"That's a negative. He's gotta be somewhere."

FRIDAY: Your man's in the church boss. I think he's waiting for you.

"Shadow, protect the citizens and the twins."

Shadow nodded to no one in particular, swiftly making it back to the area close to where the twins were evacuating.

Tony flew over to the church, landing in the foyer courtyard to the sound of his own breathing. He wasn't afraid of Ultron. He was worried about other things.

Ultron: Come to confess your sins?

Tony scoffed, "I don't know. How much time you got?"

Shadow could hear the conversation. She wasn't sure if it was from the coms devices or if it was just her hearing, but she could hear them both. She was anticipating something going wrong, due to Ultron's pure hatred of Stark.

Ultron: More than you.

A few heavy thumps could be felt through vibrations in the Earth. Shadow was standing near Wanda when she felt them. She closed her eyes and dug her feet further into the gravel, feeling the difference of the weight of the steps.

Then a rapid beating heart sounded like a signal for help.

Shadow turned to Wanda, "You're doing amazing. If you or Pietro need me, call out. I will come. Tony needs my help."

The young witch turned to her with wide hazel blue eyes. Shadow gave her an encouraging smile and nodded before she flew off in the direction of Stark.

"Uh, have you been juicing? Little vibranium cocktail? You're looking...I don't wanna say 'puffy', -"

Ultron: You're stalling to protect the people.

Tony sighed, "Well, that is the mission. Did you forget?"

Ultron: I've moved beyond your mission. I'm free.

Suddenly, a machine comes crashing through the ground, latching itself so that it was secure. Shadow stayed cloaked, hidden...watching what was unfolding so she could warn the others.

Ultron: What? You think you were the only one stalling?

Tony took a second to scan the machine.

FRIDAY: There's the rest of the vibranium. Function, still unclear.

Ultron and Tony slowly circled the device, tension bounced between them.

Ultron: This is how you end Tony. This is peace in my time.

Vibrations began to scatter all over the city. Shadow could feel them all, pulling themselves through the Earth. Her eyes shot out to the streets, realizing part of Ultron's plans. She hissed as she flew back in the direction of the twins.

Shadow: All of Ultron's metal bots are climbing through the ground. It will scatter the people. Protect them and keep their escape paths clear!

Her shouts rang through each members ears, bringing them to full alert. The droids began shooting at citizens, blowing up buildings and scattered cars. Wanda and Clint stood on a bridge, trying to get people off of it. Shadow arrived just as Wanda got shot.

"How dare you!" Shadows' eyes glowed as she formed a barrier around the people. Her arms lit up in flames as she torched the bots, one by one. When they were clear, she fell to her knees by Wanda.