Chapter 39

Shadow sat on the bench next to Jane, her mind like a black abyss. She couldn't feel anything. She was distraught, angry, and caught in a never ending feeling that she could have done something more.

    "Jane Foster!"

    Shadow blinked and turned towards the guards that had entered their room. Jane was standing by the balcony when Shadow's vision had come to focus on reality.

    "You need to come with us."

    Shadow stood up in front of Jane, protecting her from the guards. "Why must she come with you? She is under my protection."

    The head guard stepped forward, moving Shadow out of the way. "King's orders. Now move."

    Shadow was pissed. She lunged for the head guard but was caught by the other two who had flanked her. "King's orders my ass! Don't you dare hurt her or I will have your head!"

    Jane glanced back at Shadow, giving her a smile telling her it was okay. Shadow was fuming and shrugged off the guards hands that gripped her arms. When they scurried after the head guard, Shadow went in pursuit of Thor. She dashed through the hallways until she caught up to the blonde prince, already on his way to the throne room.

    "I assume you are going to see your father about Jane?"

    Thor looked irritated, but his anger didn't match Shadow's. "I am."

    "Good." Shadow sneered. Her cold tone sent shivers down Thor's spine.

    They entered the destroyed throne room, seeing some of the warriors three and some guards discussing the matters of the destroyed shields. Shadow figured she should let Thor speak first since she could feel her eyes already changing colors.

    "She's your prisoner now? Leave us!" Thor's voice echoed through the room, causing everyone to bow to Odin and leave hastily. Shadow stood just beside Thor with her arms crossed over her chest.

    Odin turned and stepped down the stairs slowly. "I do not wish to fight with you."

    Thor stood as his father passed him. "Nor I with you."

    "Well, I would like to pick a fight!" Shadow spoke up. Odin looked stunned as he turned to face the furious girl.

    "Why must I be afraid of you?"

    Shadow smirked at the old king. "Because you have no idea what I am capable of."

    Thor held his hand out to Shadow. "Father, I intend to pursue Malekith."

    "We possess the Aether. Malekith will come to us."

    "Yeah...That's a stupid plan." Shadow scoffed.

    "I agree with her. He will destroy us."

    Odin turned back to Shadow. "Why are you here again? Who are you?"

    Shadow's eyes sparkled brightly in the gloomy throne room. "Who I am is none of your concern. However, the reason I am here seems to be a great one. Malekith can sense the Aether that resides in Jane. It isn't her fault that it chose her as a host body. Better her than Malekith himself. We need to lure him away from here. He destroyed too much of this city, do not make the mistake of handing him the pleasure of Asgardian annihilation on a silver platter."

    Odin looked furious at Shadow's words. "You came from Midgard. Just another fleeting human life that thinks they can tell me, the King of Asgard, what to do."

    Shadow stepped forward, the pressure of the room was becoming tense under Shadow's surfaced magic. "I am no mere mortal. I do not care who you are. I do not care what you think you may know. You will be the reason your people will be slaughtered if you don't listen to me or Thor."