Chapter 83

Bucky and Steve sat in silence as they piloted the Quinjet to their destination. Too many thoughts bounced between the two of them. A silent war that held both sides at a complete stand still.

    Bucky couldn't help but look out at their surroundings as they moved through the sky. He was hoping that something, anything, would give him a sign as to where she was. He was beginning to feel an uncomfortable twist in his chest. He didn't want to think about what that might mean.

    Steve was trying to think about what might happen when they landed at the secret Hydra location in Siberia. If they had to go against five ferocious and unstable super soldiers...then so be it. He would do what he could to put a stop to anything Hydra had cooked up.

    Out of the corner of his eyes, Steve could see just how emotionally disturbed Bucky was. A lot was on Bucky's mind but Steve was worried about his best friend bottling up his emotions.

    Steve cleared his throat, trying to release some of the tension that pulled between them. "What's on your mind?"

    Bucky didn't really move. There was so much going on, he wasn't really sure where to start. "Where do I begin?" Bucky scoffed as he looked away from Steve and out the Quinjet window.

    Steve grinned at his friends sarcastic nature. "How about how you're feeling and how you're dealing with Doe not being here."

    "Steve...I don't think it's a good idea I go down that route right now." Bucky tried to redirect. "What's gonna happen to the team?"

    Steve rolled his shoulders forward, rubbing one hand against his thigh. "Whatever it is, I'll deal with it."

    Bucky stared down at his metal hand. His right one rubbed his neck, tracing the ghostly reminder of his soul mark right behind his ear. "I don't know if I'm worth all this Steve..."

His tone shifted, vulnerability no longer being shielded by the walls he put up. Steve choked up a bit remembering just what he had been through. "What you did all those years...it wasn't you. You didn't have a choice."

"I know." Bucky agreed. He knew it wasn't his fault, but he couldn't stop the lingering thoughts that he was somehow still the monster that Hydra had made him to be. "But I did it."

Steve grimaced, "She wouldn't be happy with you thinking like this."

"Well...she isn't here..." Steve could hear the pain in Bucky's words.

"She always believed in you. Don't give up on that. Don't give up on her." Steve tried.

Bucky shifted in his seat. He kept picturing how she looked before she disappeared. "I would never..." He whispered. "How are we going to find her Steve?"

Steve's blue eyes stared into the vast forests and mountains that they traveled over. He, too, was searching for something. "We will find her...I'm sure of it."

They sank back into silence, tension prickling at their skin like ice. Bucky could hear the strained confidence in Steve's reply. All they could do was take care of whatever it was that was going to happen in Siberia before they could go looking.

***

In the hospital, Tony was anxiously waiting outside where Rhodey was having an MRI done. Tony wanted to make sure that he was okay and that he wasn't severely hurt. He finally noticed Vision standing in front of the glass, a solemn look on his face. Tony stopped right next to him, his worry and fears fueling his words.

"How did this happen?"

Vision had been thinking about this exact question ever since they left the airport. "I became distracted." This was the only solution he could think of.