Chapter 72

It had been about a year or so since the Avengers had officially formed again. They grew in size, and their relationships were different, yet strong. They still had their differences in opinions obviously, but they tried to look after one another. Wanda and Pietro had gotten significantly better. Steve and Natasha were teaching them ways to identify threats and figure out their motives before something had happened.

    The golden trio were happy. Bucky and Loki dotted on their mate, loving how far they had come within their relationship. Loki had helped Wanda out with her magic and Bucky had helped Sam and Pietro get stronger as well as smarter in their survival skills.

    Everyday was a challenge. Nothing big had happened since Ultron. The team was thankful for that, but they always had to prepare for the worst. The most they had to worry about, was Hydra. Rumlow, after the attack on Washington D.C., was revealed to truly be working for Hydra. Even though the team knew it before hand, they couldn't just release it to the public or to SHIELD without Hydra finding out first.

    Shadow had remained behind on most missions, per the orders of Steve. Sure, she could take out dozens of Hydra soldiers and bases with a simple look, but they tasked her with watching over Vision and the Mind Stone. They knew that however long they were gone, the stone would be safe with her, Loki, and Vision.

    She spent her time studying the stone. When she noticed how it tried communicating with her after the fight against Ultron, she was extremely curious. She had approached Vision about why he regarded her as some royal.

    "Why do you call me 'Your Highness'? Not that I'm complaining or anything," She giggled, winking over at Loki who rolled his eyes.

    Vision sat still in front of her, his eyes studying her like always. He always seemed to enjoy being in her presence. "That's what I've always called you." He paused to reflect on the words that just shot out of his mouth. "It seems that the integration of Jarvis and the stone have merged. Even though I was only born a year ago, the mind stone sees you as someone familiar."

    Loki had always found these talks to be interesting, always finding more things to ask or research to find the answers that hung loosely in the air. "How is she familiar to you?"

    Shadow glanced back towards Loki, her dazzling silver and blue eyes reflecting the warm glow of the sun coming through the windows.

    "I am not sure. I always feel comfortable around you, I know that I have a duty to protect you and your power calls to me."

    This confession was something different, but it resonated with how Shadow felt. She leaned forward in her seat, her long white hair falling over her shoulders and into her lap. Soft, echoing voices were now audible. Shadow could hear them faintly, and they were coming from the stone. She stared wide eyed and turned towards the two next to her.

    "Do you hear that?"

    Loki and Vision both cocked their heads to the sides, silent for a moment as if to see if they had missed something.

    "No darling, I don't hear a thing."

    It had been unnervingly quiet since pretty much everyone was gone on a mission except for Thor and Banner, who were currently off world in Asgard.

Her hand began to slowly inch toward the stone. "It's so strange," She barley whispered. "I can hear it. It's...speaking to me."

"