Chapter 49

I froze in my spot after Clint revealed to me the identity of the familiar voice that I heard in my head. I couldn't comprehend that I had just spoken to the man that was my soulmate and I still couldn't remember him fully.

    "Uhhhh...earth to witchy. You okay there?" Tony shouted, tilting his head looking at me.

    "That was him? How do you know?" I muttered.

    Clint moved over to me and lightly pulled at my arms. He led me back to my chair and sat down in the one next to it.

    "I know because of the soulmate bond and how things reacted with you and Loki. The jewelry you are wearing was given to you by Frigga, his mother. It was made especially for Loki's soulmate and possesses some type of magic within it. Your soul mark also glows whenever Loki and you try to communicate or when you are connected." His words were soft and comforting, yet I still could not relax.

    The pain I was feeling was unbearable. "He seemed concerned...as he said those things. Why did he say 'he did it for me'?" I looked around at my teammates. My emotions were on a tipping point.

    Steve sighed and shook his head. "We aren't really sure. No one knows where he his, not even Thor. Thor still doesn't know Loki is alive."

    Realization dawned on me. "I could call him. Tell him to come back to Earth."

    Tony stood quickly and shook his finger. "No, no. Let's not do that. I know you want to talk to him and this is something that he should know and it should come from you, but not now. He told us he is still dealing with things within the Nine Realms. We need to let him do this and then we will find a time to bring him back to discuss these things."

    I sniffed as small tears were forming in my eyes. I nodded at Tony knowing he was right.

    "Why must it hurt like this?" I blurted out.

    Everyone was silent. Nat and Bruce glanced at each other with sad expressions while Steve moved closer to me.

    "It's what comes with the soulmate bond. When you aren't around them for whatever reason it hurts you, physically, mentally, and emotionally." The expression in Steve's eyes told me that he knew of the pain.

    Clint nodded his head in agreement. "Yeah. I always feel an ache when I'm away from Laura but we find ways to talk or see each other which helps a lot."

    "Do you think he feels this pain like I do?" I wanted to know if he could feel this awful experience like I could.

    "He should be yes. I still don't know why he is doing what he is doing, but it seems like he has a reason. He said he was doing it for you. I can attest that if something bad was happening or someone was threatening Laura, I would do anything to keep her safe." Clint finished with a small smile.

    My lips trembled as I continued to think about how my soulmate was far away from where I was. I couldn't remember him much and yet I missed him terribly. I couldn't piece together what he looked like but it didn't matter to me. I just wanted my soulmate there for me. A small tear escaped my eye and slowly fell down my cheek.

    "Shadow. There is something we need to ask you about again." Nat's words were slow and calm. I could tell she was trying to be patient with me.

    I nodded as more tears fell down my face. "What?"

    "We wanted to know if there was anything you could tell us about Hydra. Anything that may help us when we try to stop them."

    My hands clenched up as Nat asked her question. I didn't like talking about Hydra. Even with my spotty memory I knew I hated that place.