Chapter 47

*Shadow's Pov*

    I could feel the buzzing of the cuffs around my wrists. They weren't hurting me, yet I could feel that they weren't containing my magic fully. I sat with my knees against my chest in the corner of my cell. After I spent the entire night on the floor, trying to keep myself from falling asleep, I remembered that Steve and Tony had put me in this cell. I know I am not in Hydra, yet it still feels like I am right back where I started with them.

    The lights of my cell room turned on, blinding me with the harsh fluorescence. I covered my eyes with my hands to shield myself. The sound of footsteps were nearing my cell. I peered from behind my fingers to see who had come to visit me.

    "I'm glad you're awake Shadow." Steve's voice was calm and sweet. I could see his guilty expression that he held. I understood why he and Tony had to put me here. "I really am sorry about this. I hope you can forgive me and Tony."

    I shook my head and weakly waved a hand at him. "Already forgiven. I understand why you did what you did. I feel safer in here anyways."

    Steve stepped closer to the door. "Your hands..."

    His shocked expression made me examine them.

    I sighed heavily

    I sighed heavily. I was ashamed at what was happening, but I knew there was nothing I could do to stop it.

    "This is normal. It will keep spreading until I learn to control it or suppress it."

    Steve wrinkled his eyebrows and just looked at me like I was an injured puppy.

    "Do the cuffs hurt you?"

    "The limiters aren't hurting me. They're helping me hold it all together. You are just going to have to get used to seeing me like this though."

    I shrugged as I was informing him of what I could remember of my dark magic. He looked like he was struggling with the information. He started tapping in a code to the cell door, letting it swing wide open. I was terrified.

    "No Steve. Please stay back. I don't want to hurt you."

    My pleas didn't seem to register with him as he knelt down at eye level with me and pulled me up into a hug. I froze. I didn't want to touch him. I had too much fear and anxiety around him when I didn't feel confident about my powers.

    "I told you that we were in this together, always. I'm not going to give up on you now." He finally let go of his bone crushing hug, stepping back to scan me with his eyes.

    "Why are you in the cell with her?"

    Tony's voice startled us both as we jumped apart and looked at him. I stepped further away from Steve and fiddled with my fingers. I could feel Tony eyeing the change in my hands like Steve had done.