Chapter 52

My mind was a haze. I had been put in the wiping machine many times. My head was constantly pounding. Hydra made sure that I wasn't a liability. My mind and my body followed every word Pierce ordered of me. It didn't take long for my most precious memories to be forgotten. The only thing I could remember was when I ended up back here. Pierce told me that I was important and that I was to work together with the Winter Soldier on our next missions.

Sitting in my dark cell, I stared at the blank wall in front of me. My mind hardly wandered, yet I was constantly thinking about Winter. I was worried about him. I wanted to see him, even if our interactions were strictly to train and get patched up. His blue eyes were dull, yet sometimes I felt like I would get glimpses of some sort of emotion. Maybe he was remembering things. I learned quickly that if I ever started to remember, I wouldn't let them know. I had to hold onto anything that I could that seemed important.

I closed my eyes and listened to what I could hear around me. Since I was wearing the shock collar around my neck and had been training for several days, they were giving me plenty of food to make sure I had enough energy. They felt I had been wiped sufficiently enough to where I wouldn't disobey orders. I could hear Winter breathing in the cell next to me. He seemed to be resting like I was. We never got much sleep around here. It was always a lot of training, fighting and then missions.

The last mission we went on was particularly dangerous. We were sent on a mission to kill a man named Nick Fury. He was the director of some organization called SHIELD. Pierce told us we had to eliminate him because of the horrible things he was doing to our country. Winter and I had followed him and were ambushed by SHIELD themselves.

"Eliminate the target at all costs. Then report back here." Pierce's orders rang thorough our ears. Winter and I both nodded at him, understanding what was needed of us.

We climbed into an armored van and the driver took us to our destination. We hopped out and loaded our weapons. I had plenty of daggers and at least one pistol, but I didn't need them like Winter did. My magic was all I needed. As we hid in the shadows, I took a deep breath, bringing my magic to the surface. My dark magic helped me move with ease through the darkness.

I pointed to the roof above us and grabbed Winters hand. I flew us up to the top and set us down carefully. It was already after sunset so we had plenty of cover. We had a tracking device on our target so we knew exactly where he would be. We stared across from us to a large warehouse building. SHIELD was loading in tons of supplies and equipment for their next operations. That would provide us a way in.

"Winter, we can get in through that side entrance. Target seems to be on the second floor." I spoke softly. Half of his face was covered in a mask and we had put black smudge across his eyes and nose. His dull blue eyes always found their way to mine, almost as if he was checking on me.

"Let's go. We have our opening." He pointed out that they had finished loading in the trucks.

I picked him up and cloaked us in my magic. I flew quickly to the side door and pulled us inside before they could shut. Once we were inside I made sure to search for cameras. I covered all of the ones in the hallway with darkness, so no one would see us coming. Winter was close behind me. I could feel the heat radiating off his body.

Hydra made sure to make me protect him at all costs. He was their prized possession and my magic was the safety net. We followed the direction of our tracking device all the way to the second floor. There seemed to be no signs of life, even though we had just seen many SHIELD workers minutes ago. Once we made it to the floor, I saw a man standing by himself in the middle of a open room. I narrowed my eyes and raised my hands ready to fight while Winter raised his gun.