Chapter 48

Training with most of the team was really good for me. I realized I had more control over my magic than I thought and the cuffs Tony gave me really helped me out. Natasha and I lay next to each other on the sparring mat, drenched in sweat.

    "You seem to have gained more strength from the last time I trained with you witchling."

    I smirked at the funny nickname she gave me. "Yeah. I feel powerful when my dark magic is awakened."

    She turned her head in my direction. "Why can't you learn to control your power without suppressing it?"

    I sat up on my hands. "Well...I think I can. I've just never done that before. I've always been scared to hurt people with that power."

    I remember what I was capable of when I let that power loose. I could hear the screams of the souls that I took. I hoped that I wouldn't do that again.

    Nat sat up and put her hands on my exposed shoulders. "Listen. Sometimes we have these gifts or special training that was used for the wrong purpose before, but now it could be used for good. I know you may not like fighting or taking lives but you never thought twice about that when you fought against those aliens." She raised an eyebrow at me like she was trying to see if I understood her direction.

    "I mean yeah. I wanted to get rid of those slimy things so they didn't hurt you guys, me, or the city."

    She nodded with a smile. "Exactly, that's the point. When we are fighting for the right cause, killing the bad guys isn't so bad of a gig."

    "I guess you're right. I just need to figure out how to control it so I don't need to rely on these cuffs."

    Natasha nodded then looked around at the now empty training room. Everyone had left, leaving the two women alone.

    "We should probably go up to our rooms to get some sleep."

    "You are taking the words right out of my mouth lady. I'm exhausted." I stood up offering my hand out to the assassin. She took my hand in a firm grip and pulled herself up. She punched my shoulder, laughing as she passed me. I didn't feel a thing as her swing didn't have any punch to it. I followed her out of the training room.

    She went over to the kitchen while I made my way over to the elevator. I clicked the button for my floor and sat in the silence as the elevator rose to my floor. When I finally made it to my room I jumped onto my bed immediately. I didn't have the energy for a shower. Using my magic like I did today took out a lot of energy. I lay face down on my bed and let sleep take over.

    "Winter, we need to get out of here. We have a chance to escape during our mission." I whispered to my metal armed friend. I wanted to get him out with me, yet he was just staring at me like I had two heads.

    He shook his head and went back to staring at the opposite wall. He never spoke much, but I knew he was in a headspace where he knew who I was.

    "Please. I can't stand another minute here...You know what they did to me." Memories of Rumlow taking advantage of me played themselves before my eyes. I cringed as I remembered how most of my recent nights had been. I wasn't going to try without bringing my friend along with me.

    Winter stared at me with cold, dull blue eyes. I couldn't tell if what I had said had registered with him, but he looked deep in thought nonetheless. Noises came from beyond our cell door, warning us that someone was coming. The cell door opened and large guards walked in, grabbing us both by our forearms. I flinched as they grabbed me harshly. They started dragging us in the direction of the wiping room.