Chapter 44

Shadow slid through the hallway, listening for the guards that should be making their rounds. She halted at a corner, ready to pounce. Just as the two men passed her, she swiftly snapped their necks, dropping them to the floor. She pulled the lifeless bodies into the darkness, as to avoid early detection. She crept towards the open door that led into the main room. The light was dim enough to provide her shadows to move through, but she moved carefully as to not tip off the enemies within the room. She stopped behind a stack of boxes and listened.

"We must finish this research by his deadline. You know how he gets when anyone disobeys his orders."

"Yes ma'am." The chorus of male voices answered the demanding woman.

Shadow could tell they were scared of her. She remembered her voice, but was having a hard time remembering when she had met her. The boxes Shadow was leaning on shifted, causing items to fall to the ground. Shadow cursed to herself.

Guns cocked and the atmosphere in the room was tense. "Who goes there! Show yourself or we will have no choice but to shoot!"

Shadow figured now was a good time as ever to reveal herself. She started laughing as she slowly stood up from behind her hiding spot. As she stepped into the light and made it towards the center of the room, some of the guards gasped and tensed up. Shadow could visually see the discomfort she put these soldiers in. Their thoughts were loud and shot at Shadow like a speeding bullet.

Shit...it's the Ghost...

Get me out of here...I'm not fighting the Ghost...

I thought the Ghost was dead...

The woman smirked and started walking to the front of the group of guards. "Isn't this a wonderful surprise. It's nice to see you again...Ghost."

Shadow crossed her hands over her chest. "I knew I recognized your voice. How's that burnt skin of yours doing?"

At that jab, the woman's face turned into a scowl. "As much as I appreciate this reunion, I want to know why you are here? Hmmmm."

"I had a feeling you were still watching me, so I had to come find out for myself. Why don't you tell me what it is you want from me, then I can deal with it and you can leave me the hell alone?"

The woman's laugh was cold and chilling. "You know exactly what we want."

Shadow rolled her eyes. She hoped that this stalling, talking to this vile woman, was giving Cap and Nat enough time to search around and hack into their information. "Trust me...if I already knew...I wouldn't be standing here chitchatting with you and your little goons."

The woman started walking back to the nearest computer, pulling up files about Shadow and her powers. She saw videos and photos that didn't look familiar to her. "We...we want our weapon back."

Shadow stood confused. "Weapon? I didn't take any weapons from you?"

The lady shook her head. "Not just any weapon..." Her cold eyes stared directly into Shadow's, "You."

Shadow tensed. "I am not a weapon for anyone to use."

This time, the woman laughed so hard, she hunched over at the waist. Clearly she was amused and pleased by Shadow's confusion. Shadow noticed movement in the back of the room. She could see Nat messing with the computer system, hoping that her friend would be there to help her if she needed it.

"Well...seeing as you clearly don't remember fully, I will fill you in. Our measures to keep you within our grasps have obviously worked. You used to work for us. You used to help us fight the bad guys to help bring this world from the clutches of corrupt governments so we could hopefully one day bring back our sovereign rule over this country...and others..."