Chapter 46

Shadow's mind was in a dense fog. She couldn't think straight. She kept hearing different voices. She couldn't sit in the medical bed any longer. Every time she closed her eyes nightmares and voices kept appearing in her head. She decided she wanted to go back into the kitchen to sit with Steve. She would rather sit up all night than close her eyes or sleep again.

She moped back towards the common living area, hoping most of the team had gone back to bed. She could hear muffled voices still in the dining room. She slowly stuck her head around the corner, not wanting to disturb anyone else in the tower if they were doing something important. She saw everyone except the man they called Thor was still sitting at the table. Tony had some images and videos pulled up.

Shadow stared at the screen. She recognized the person behind those images.

"Stop on that video right there." Shadow watched as Nat pointed at a specific video and walked towards where Tony was sitting.

Shadow saw that it was a video of her being put into a big chair. Her body started trembling. A man walked into view, hiding his appearance from the camera. Shadow, however, didn't need to the camera to realize she knew who that man was.

"You've been a real bad girl, Shadow. I warned you what would happen if you didn't obey my orders. Since you tried to escape...again, you leave me no other choice. WIPE HER!"

Shadow gasped softly and put her hand over her mouth. Her body was trembling and tears began to fall from her eyes.

"Longing, rusted, furnace, daybreak..."

Hearing those words created a void in Shadow's head. She clutched at the wall, trying to hold herself up as she started collapsing. The excruciating pain that shot through her mind rendered her blind. Her vision was dark and she was seeing stars.

Welcome back to us Ghost. Do not be afraid. You are a wonderful asset to us...

Shadow was fighting to keep the voices out. She had to stay strong.

Just give up. There is nothing for you. No one but Hydra will ever want you...

The taunting voices were trying to draw her back in, but she still felt like she had some fight left in her.

Where is your soulmate now...he left you just like everyone else will. You do not deserve them.

Loki. Her Loki was gone. For once the voices were right. Loki left. Of course she couldn't be loved. She was too damaged. Only Hydra knew how to take care of her.

She slowly found her way to her room, avoiding everyone else in the tower. As she opened her door, she could feel the dark cloud enveloping her. Her magic started encasing her soul, bringing her back to the darkness in which she lived in when she was in Hydra. She collapsed onto the chair by her bed. Her eyes were glowing slightly but were turning into a dark void.

Darling...fight it...don't let them win.

Shadow could hear the familiar voice of a woman. As she looked around the room, she saw the glowing form of a woman kneeling in front of her. The woman was beautiful and looked graceful and regal.

Shadow...what is going on? Please you've got to fight this.

"Who are you?"

Frigga blinked. The sadness in her eyes was evident but Shadow was reaching the point where she couldn't care.

I am Frigga. Thor and Loki's mother. I know you have been made to forget things but never forget who you really are. We love you. You cannot give up hope. You cannot let them win.