The Guilt

We walked in the hallways of my apartment hand in hand with Gally. His hands were really sweaty but I still held on to him.

"Baby, are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little nervous." He smiled but I could tell it was fake.

"Don't be, she'll like you. It might take her a while to warm up to you."

"Thanks Babe." We came to my door, I let go of his hand to reach for my keys. He wiped his hands on his jeans, and exhaled a shaky breath.

"You'll be fine." I reassured as I pulled out my keys and unlocked the door. I heard him gulp. I entered into my apartment and called for my mother. "Hey Mom, I'm home and I brought Gally." Gally closed the door behind him. My mother enters from her bedroom wearing a nice blouse, her long church skirt, and her loafers.

"Hello Grace," she greeted me. Then turns to Gally with a kind smile. "And you must be the Gally my daughter runs off to." She joked. Gally was hesitant then made a nervous laugh.

"He-hi Mrs A-Antoinette's." He stressed but managed to keep a smile on.

"You can call me Mrs. A if you want, our name is always hard to pronounce." My mother seems so coolly. I'm used to seeing the sad women who lives in the picture. "I made coffee would you like some?"

"Um, yeah, th-that would be nice. Thank you." Gally stuttered. I sat him on the couch as I helped my mother.

"How does he like his coffee?" My mother asked.

"Black." I said. I grabbed a few mugs from our cupboard and the creamer from the fridge. She poured the coffee into two mugs.

"Aren't you gonna have some Mom."

"No thank you, Honey, I have work tomorrow. But thank you so much."

"Okay." I poured the creamer into my mug. And brought the mugs to Gally. I handed his mug.

"Thanks, Babe. And thank you Mrs. A."

"Oh no trouble at all." She sat on the chair across from us. "So Gally, do you go to school?"

"Yeah, online school." The mug in his hand was shaking. He takes a sip of his coffee.

"Why online?"

"Uh, emancipated. Parents caught the Flare."

"Oh, I'm so sorry." I raised an eyebrow at her because I already told her, I brushed it off. "My husband caught the Flare when Grace was six."

"Mom, I was eight." I reminded.

"Huh?" she asked.

"I was eight when Dad caught the Flare."

"Oh yes that's right. When you were six that's when..." she paused then frowned.

"Mom it's okay." I said. "I know." But she sat there looking at the ground.

"Is she okay?" Gally worried.

"She'll be fine." I stood up and held my mother's shoulder. "Mom, look at me." she looked up at me.

"I'm here," I said.

"I know, dear." She stood up from her chair. "I have to go take my medication, I'll be right back." She left into the bathroom.

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah, she's fine. She has depression, it's been that way since... You know WICKED?" His face lost color again.

"Yeah, I think so." He said.

"And you know that 11 years ago or something they take the smartest kids in the world and put them through these trials to find a cure for the Flare?"

"Yeah." He gulped.

"Well, my brother was one of them. They took him when he was a year old then. I hardly remember who he was. My mother hardly talks about him. I don't even remember his name." I went over to the kitchen where I found the picture of my father and my brother I grabbed it. "Although they said that they were renaming him after Charles Darwin." I handed him the picture. I pointed at the chubby curly haired baby. "That's him." I moved my finger to my father's face. "And that's my Dad." Gally was breathing in and out deeply, then he starts wheezing. He hands started shaking. "Baby are you okay?" I asked panicking a little. Not as much as he was. He dropped the picture and it feel to the floor. He stands up holding his head in his hands still breathing wrong. "Gally, what's wrong?" I put my hand on his chest. His heartbeat was out of control. "Mom!" I called she came running into the living room.

"What's wrong?" she she asked.

"I think Gally is having a panic attack." I cried.

"Grace stand back." She ordered me. I did as I was told. "Gally, look at me." She held her hands on his shoulders. "Look at me! Breath like his." She instructed by breathing in slowly and hold it for seven seconds and breathed out slowly. He did the same. It went on for about a few minutes. Until Gally seemed to calm down.

"Are you okay now?" She asked. Gally nodded.

"Okay. Do you usually get panic attacks."

He shook his head.

"Did something triggered?"

He shrugged. "Thank you though." He said. I hugged his middle and he held me back.

"Gally, it's almost sun down." My mother said. "I don't want you to be out in town before dark."

"Yes ma'am." He said. I took his hand and led him outside of the apartment.

"Baby, are you sure you're okay?"

"I'll be fine."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I can't. You know that."

"Will I see you again?"

"I'll see you at your competition. I promised." We stopped in front of the doors of the elevator, he pressed the button.

"Be careful, please."

"I will." He kissed my forehead. "I-" he paused.

"Yeah?" I said letting him finished.

"I- will see you soon." The elevator went sing and the doors opened. I gave him a kiss on his lips before he went away.