envy

It has been 12 days since the young woman was lying asleep in the Agency's infirmary, when her parents weren't there, some of the members of the Agency went and checked up on her, Atsushi decided to read to her, he saw some article in the internet saying it helps, he started with classic kid stories from the Grimm brothers, since he didn't know what should he be reading to her, and honestly he enjoyed reading the stories he never got the chance to at the orphanage.

Dazai never went in, he lazed around the Agency as always, avoiding his work, annoyed Kunikida, but never once did he even peeked through the infirmary door. It was as if he was ignoring the fact there was a young woman kind of comatose in the building, as if nothing happened.

"Why would I go there? I'm just gonna get bored. I mean she is pretty and nice to look at but that's about it" he said with his eyes closed as he was laying on the office couch, answering Atsushi's question.

Atsushi couldn't really understand Dazai, he admired him because he was smart and could always solve cases, plus, he saved him, but if he didn't care about the woman sleeping in the infirmary, why did he save her too?

Without really an answer he just ignored it and kept looking for books to read to the girl lost in her dreams.

He tried to help as much as he could, he would bring lunch to the parents, try to talk to them despite the language barrier, and bring them tea or coffee.

'It must be nice' , he thought to himself as he looked at the parents sitting on their daughter's side. He never had that, and a part of him was kind of envious, 'why would she have left that life? She has a family that cares for her and yet she threw it away-'

"Atsushi-kun" a voice snapped him out of his train of thought.

"You were making a strange face." said Dazai as he tilted his head to the side.

"Was I now? Haha I'm just kind of tired" a sudden rush of guilt invaded Atsushi's chest.

"Mmm is that so... is okay to feel envious you know, I bet you were thinking, 'oh how could she do that, how could she run away', you don't have to understand her, we all have our motives, but we need to respect each other's decisions" he told the young white haired man, while leaning on his shoulder casually.

"I know! How about when she wakes up you ask her? Maybe you could understand her better if she explains her reasons to you, then maybe you won't have to accept them, but you can respect them more." He added while smiling softly at him.

Atsushi was then reminded again of why he admires Dazai and why he sees him as his mentor. It was almost scary how he knew what Atsushi was really thinking, but also kind of cool.

The next day there was a book on Atsushi's desk. "On the road by Jack Kerouac"

"I heard from her parents that she liked that novel, you should read it to her next" said Dazai while looking at the clouds through the window as usual.

Atsushi took the book and left with a smile on his face and went directly to the sleeping girl in the infirmary. Truth is, Dazai didn't hear from her parents that she liked that novel, it was him who liked it. And coincidentally, she happened to like it too and has a copy of it in her bookcase back at home. 

------

It was interesting writing an Atsushi's centered kind of chapter

hope you like it💖

-M