grown up

I decided to be a grown up.

I was on my way to the office. I have not gotten a call either from Dazai or Chuuya. I was feeling anxious, I didn't really want to face Dazai after our last encounter and also, I was nervous about how things were with Chuuya.

I opened the door, and there was no one in the office, I got to admit I was early. I have a big pile of files I have to check, and I got to work.

The first one to come in was Kunikida as always, he greeted me and got to work too. Kunikida and I aren't that close, I don't think he likes me that much, be it because I associate myself with Dazai, or because he was too strict, and I don't do well with that. I think our relationship was merely work related and something about that bugged me.

"Kunikida-san, how have you been?" I asked, trying to break the ice.

"I have been well, thank you for asking, and you, Maru-san?" He asked politely, not taking his eyes from his work.

"I have been...not that well, but I am managing." I said being honest but trying not to trauma dump again.

"Is that so... I hope you can resolve the situations that present to you" He said in his usual strong tone.

There was a moment of silence.

"Kunikida-san, sorry to bother you, but can I ask you a question?" I said. He looked up from his work to take a glance at me. One thing no one talks about is how handsome Kunikida is, since he is always so formal, it's not a thing that is mentioned, but this man has a very old school masculine beauty. If he weren't so inflexible he could get a lot of fans.

"Sure thing, tell me" he said.

"What do you think of me?" I asked, all curiosity.

He seemed to pause, and look at me intensely, I almost blushed to be honest, but given his personality he is just trying to find words to describe me in a way that fits his ideals.

"I think you are a good person. You are responsible, you have a strong sense of morality, you are creative and resilient, but also can be childish and stubborn. You are caring and even motherly to the people around you. You have proven to belong in the Agency, in all honesty I was not a fan of having you work here, you don't have an ability and your life has been pretty normal, but, you have an unusual way of handling things, you are kind of weird, which makes you blend in inside this office of freaks." He said, then took a pause to sign some papers.

"I am also grateful for your presence, because you know how to handle Dazai and get him to work, or be a little more responsible, be it because you trick him into working or not, I think your closenes to that stupid detective has done him good, and I will apreciate each second of peace you buy me buy handling him. You are also a good motherly role for Atsushi and now Kyoka, so I think that you should stay and work here even after your sentence has been completed, but that's a decision that the President will make, I just want you to know that if you ever needed me to put a good word for you to the President for you to stay, I would." He finished his long ass sentence and turned to face his work and continued. I stood up and hugged him, he did not hug me back but I could feel him relax and accept the embrace.

"Now, let's get to work so we can make the best of this day" He said softly.

He was a weird man, but a sweet one.

People started to fill the office, everyone was at their desks except one. The scrawny detective was nowhere to be seen.

♣♣♣

"Here is the location of the person you asked for" the detective on the sand colored trench coat said, his voice echoing the dark and dirty alley he was in.